Default Sorting in Dynamic View

Options
Sarah Bird
Sarah Bird ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I know that with any shared smartsheet, sorting the rows and saving will change the sort for any viewer. For Dynamic View, it appears that only sorting and saving the master sheet changes the sort of the rows, and it does so for any View of that sheet.

Is there a way to make a default sorting order (i.e. alphabetical by a name column, or currency by a date column) for each Dynamic View? Or will every view just be sorted however the master sheet is at any time?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Sarah Bird

As you've found, the initial/default sort order of the Dynamic View is based on the Sort of the source sheet.

That said, when you are working in a View you can temporarily adjust the sort order by clicking on the column name that you want to sort by. This is just for your own view (so it won't change for others looking at their own view) and when you re-load the page it will adjust back to the original sort order, based on the source sheet.

You could add in some helper text to the View Description if you want to direct users to click on certain column names and sort by a specific order for each of your views.

Let me know if that makes sense or if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Sarah Bird

As you've found, the initial/default sort order of the Dynamic View is based on the Sort of the source sheet.

That said, when you are working in a View you can temporarily adjust the sort order by clicking on the column name that you want to sort by. This is just for your own view (so it won't change for others looking at their own view) and when you re-load the page it will adjust back to the original sort order, based on the source sheet.

You could add in some helper text to the View Description if you want to direct users to click on certain column names and sort by a specific order for each of your views.

Let me know if that makes sense or if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Camilo Meza
    Options

@Sarah Bird hi. FWIW, Dynamic View's order relies not necessarily on the source sheet's order but in the order of the item you are using to build the view. What I mean is that you can create a Dynamic View off of a Report, where this Report is sorted in the way you want. The Dynamic View will then take on the Report's sorting mechanism.

• tfriss
    tfriss ✭✭
    Options

I updated the sorting of my source sheet and the default sorting of the Dynamic view hasn't changed. Is it only the original source order of the source sheet?