Copy Row Automation Not Working

2»

Answers

• @Paul Newcome, I spoke with support and they advised that the workflow isn't working because:

"Since you're using a cross sheet reference in the Date Created column for the MAX function, this will not trigger the automation.  Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approvalMove rowsCopy rowsLock rows, and Unlock rows"

Is there a helper column of sorts that I could implement to get this to work? Perhaps something similar to what was discussed earlier. Maybe a check box to trigger the automation? I'm just not sure on what formula I could use the check the box each time new information is uploaded..

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could try using a helper column that basically replicates the Date Created column into a text/number column. This way you aren't directly referencing the cross sheet reference/link in your automation.

=[Date Created]@row

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• That doesn't appear to trigger it, either. I used my "Record ID" column using [Request Number]@row with a text/number column.

• I also tried changing it to have the [Date Modified] column trigger the Row Copy, but that was unsuccessful as well.

• S_Karkhoff
    S_Karkhoff ✭✭✭✭

@Taylor Riley & @Paul Newcome - I'm having the same problem. I have a checkbox in one sheet that is uses a cross-sheet reference. I created another checkbox column with a formula that will auto-check the new column if the original cross-sheet column is updated with a check. This still isnt' working as a trigger. Both columns change, but nothing moves.

If anyone has further suggestions, please let me know!

• @S_Karkhoff, I worked with customer care and discovered that the page requires you to manually save the changes before the automation can take place. I've figured out a workout around that is making things a little easier, but still not ideal. For now, I'm using the SmartSheet App on my phone to notify me when a new request comes in. This is where I would expect the automation to take place, but I use my phone to enter a period in one column, the app will automatically save that change, and trigger the automation.

Not ideal, but it has allowed me to trigger the automation without having to be at my computer to manually bring things over.

• S_Karkhoff
    S_Karkhoff ✭✭✭✭

@Taylor Riley - this is what I received from support:

I understand that you've created another column that has a formula based on the original cell-linked column you wanted to be the workflow trigger but it's also not working. I'd be more than glad to help you.

I've also tested it on my end. I've created a helper column that's based on a column that has a cross-sheet formula. However, when I made the helper column as my trigger for my Move Rows trigger, it's also not working. It's also being read by the system as based on a column that linked to another sheet.

At this time, Smartsheet does not support this functionality; however, I've let our Product team know about your request. Due to the large number of variables they have to consider when choosing what to develop next, we can't confirm when or if this will be built, but we have let them know.

The trigger will need to be based on information coming in from the other sheet, so I will have to try and think of something else! Maybe a daily move if the column is checked instead of a trigger.

• @Taylor Riley and @S_Karkhoff Not sure if you are still trying to figure this out, but this discussion has been really helpful for me. I got this working. I set it up just like you did Taylor, but used a dummy row copy and COUNT formula in my helper column. Here is what I did:

1. Main sheet receives the form input
    2. Task sheet are my tasks to delegate to my teams
    3. Trash sheet used to clean the requests off my Task sheet
    4. Task sheet has the parent set up with the INDEX/MATCH using MAX for date and all the children tasks
    5. Main sheet has a workflow that copies the new request to the Task sheet
    6. Task sheet has a COUNT formula in the helper column
    7. Task sheet has a workflow that triggers when helper column = 2 (two parent tasks) and copies the row with the INDEX/MATCH formulas to the team's sheet based on whatever criteria
    8. Task sheet also has a workflow that removes the newly added row to a trash sheet to reset for the next request.

The copy row is the activity that triggers the "Save Sheet" function that @S_Karkhoff discovered from support. Once that "Save Sheet" is run, the helper column is changed so the workflow tied to it is triggered.

Credits: @Taylor Riley for pursuing this topic, @S_Karkhoff for spending the time with Support and discovering the Save Sheet Trigger, @Paul Newcome for his efforts with the helper column, and Jesus for helping me put it all together.