Change ownership of a workspace to a user from another account

Options

Hello everyone,

Do you know if it is possible to transfer ownership of a worskpace to a user that is using a different Smartsheet account ?

I worked for my client on several workspaces and I was not aware that I couldn't transfer ownership of these worskpaces..

Thank you for your help,

Corentin

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

Yes, it is.

Follow this guide.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Corentin Dal Farra
    Corentin Dal Farra ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Andrée,

So if I understand well in my case I need to do this as it is said in the article :

"TIP: Only people in your organization can take ownership of workspaces that you own. If you need to transfer a workspace to someone in a different organization, share them to your workspace with Admin-level permissions and ask them to create a new workspace of their own. Then they can follow the steps below to change ownership of all the items and move them to the new workspace."

1. I ask the people outside my organization to create a new workspace.

2. I or the people drag and drog in one time all the elements form the old workspace to the new one.

3. I tell the people to ask me to get the ownership of each element

Is this procedure correct according to you ?

Thank you very much

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Corentin Dal Farra

Happy to help!

No, but almost.

Change Ownership of Smartsheet Items

If you're using the item-by-item method of transferring ownership of a workspace to someone else, they'll first need to take ownership of every item in the workspace. The best method to transfer ownership is as follows:

1. Locate the workspace in the left panel.
    2. Create a new folder in the workspace and move all of the items in the workspace into that folder.
    3. Have the person who is taking ownership of the workspace open Smartsheet and locate the new folder and move it into their own Sheets folder in their account.

4. They've just become the owner of the folder and all of the items within it!
    6. Go through the steps above to make them the new owner of the workspace.
    7. Have them drag the folder back into the workspace. They can move the contents out of the folder (and back on to the workspace level) and delete the folder.

8. That's it! Now they're the new owner of the workspace and all of its contents.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Corentin Dal Farra
    Options

Thank you for the procedure Andrée,

But even with the step by step guide it seems that I have a problem with the steps 4-5 in my use case.

The people outside organization have created a workspace and have moved an sheet in a folder from the old workspace to the new one so step 4 is completed. He still needs to ask me to become owner of the sheet and it is not automatically done as it is said in step 5.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't find why.

Thank you for your time anyway,

Have a great day,

Corentin

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Corentin Dal Farra

When they move the Folder to their sheets section, they will become the owner.

They only need to transfer the Folder over to the Workspace again.

Make sense?

• Corentin Dal Farra
    Options

Ok thank you very much for your help Andrée !

Have a nice day,

Corentin