@resources email keeps coming up when I @ message an assignee

Options
Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have task assignees with their work email address added to my contacts but when i go to @ message the only option I get is an @resources email address for the same person.

Any suggestions why this is happening and how to stop.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

Currently the way @mentions work in the comments section of Smartsheet is that it requires the email address after the @ sign in order to send the notification to the user's email & account. You can read more about this functionality in our Help Center (see here), where it specifies that to @mention someone you will need to type @<email address>.

If you want to send feedback to our Product team about this feature, please feel free to fill out our Enhancement Request form!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P

I understand how the @ mention works.

The problem seems to have started when I set up a resource view.

When I go to add names to a contact column in a sheet I get two email addresses to choose from? 1. the one from my contacts (correct one) and another that says same name@resources. In these instances I can select the correct one. However, when I go to @ mention a person in a note the only address that comes up is the @resouces one so I am unable to use note to messgae them. Any suggestions

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

Would you mind posting a screen capture of this behaviour? (But block out any sensitive data, and part of the email address). I'm not sure I quite know what you mean when you say "@mention in a note", so it would be helpful to see exactly what's going on.

Thank you!

Genevieve

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P

I can do that without identifying email addresses. Is there a way we can communicate directly? By email?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Phil Wightman

It may actually be best if you contact Smartsheet Support directly about this, so you can provide screen captures and sheet names, etc. Please either fill out the form, here, or if your plan has purchased phone support, you can call the Support team directly by using the phone number located in the pop-up window under your Profiled Icon > Plan Info.

Without being able to see what's going on, it sounds like there may be two email addresses per person - one that the sheet is shared to, and one that is listed as a "resource" by being a member of your company's plan (see here for information on Resources).

The email that's associated with a member of your plan can be selected from the drop-down as a Resource. However, if a different email is shared to the sheet, then that may be the email address that initially appears when you're typing in the conversations/comments window. In this instance, I would check the Sharing on the sheet to ensure that the correct emails have been shared to this view. If you don't want them to see the view, you can still @mention users who aren't shared to the sheet, but you may need to type out the full email instead of using the helper-pop-up indicator as you type.

If I've misunderstood the issue you've described, then contacting Support will be the best way forward so they can work with you through a private, one-on-one channel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve