Is there a way to show a parent task on a row-sheet report?

Options

I am creating a report, pulling from multiple sheets, that shows upcoming tasks in the next 7 days. The problem I am running into is that there is no hierarchy shown on the report. I get a list of tasks, but I do not know what 1) sheet they're from or 2) what phase/parent task they are related too.

Is there a way to show the hierarchy when reporting? ie)

Primary task

• sub-task 1
  • sub-task 2
  • sub-task 3

Primary Task 2

• sub-task 1
  • sub-task 2
  • sub-task 3

I want to thank you for the help in advance.

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Austin Habich

There is at least two way that you can set it up.

1. Add criteria in the Report Builder, so the Parent Rows are included.
    2. Add a so-called helper column that would consist of the Parent with a formula, something like Parent Name - Sub-Task 1.

Would that work/help?

Which method do you prefer?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sudhir Singh
    Options

The generic sub- task that gets pulled in does not make sense without unique parent task. I am facing same issue.

How do you do this? "Add criteria in the Report Builder, so the Parent Rows are included". Thx

• Vadim K
    Vadim K ✭✭
    Options

I see few problems with the suggestion:

1) Any solution that require replacing the primary column with the modified text (to show the helper column instead of a primary) has an issue with grouping. The group header is a value placed in the group row in the primary column - so if you display a helper column instead of a primary column the group header will be blank.

2) Are SmartSheet formulas recursive? Is it possible to write the formula to build entire path of parents?

3) Is it possible to have a column formula that places a link to a parent row for each cell? It will not only be useful in reports but in large sheets as well. Even fancier version - a link to a parent of the certain level (parent at level 1) or certain interval of levels (like 2 parents up).

• Ness
    Ness
    edited 12/30/21
    Options

bonsoir,

j’ai la même demande : apres réalisation d’un rapport comment soit :

retrouver les lignes avant relation parent/enfants

ou

creer des lignes parent

merci de votre retour

bonne f i n d’annee

nes

**Translated via Google Translate**

Good evening,

I have the same request: after completing a report how is:

find the lines before parent / child relationship

Where

create parent lines

thank you for your response

happy new year

• Nasir@EBC
    Nasir@EBC ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All,

I have a tried and tested solution to this problem.

On the left side of the Task column, insert a helper column titled "Parent Task"

Insert the following formula in the helper column:

=PARENT([Task Name]@row)

Now right click on the cell containing the above formula, and choose "Convert to Column Formula"

That's it! The helper column now starts showing each task's parent task's name. And if a task has no parent task, then the helper column remains blank.

Now pull this helper column (named Parent Task) in the report, and place it just before the Task column.

And you're all done!

Hope this helps!

Nasir