"Equal" cells

Options

Hello Community,

I have a regular project plan with several tasks, milestones etc. I was thinking of tiding it up by creating a collapsible section in the very beginning which will contain only the milestones. My idea was to use the simple "=" function so what I did was to simply clink on the cell in the Milestones section -> type = -> scroll down and click on the desired milestone cell. What this does is copying the content of the source cell to the target which is great. However, and this here the problem is, none of the other columns content is parsed over - duration, start/end date etc.

Did anyone ever consider doing such a thing and if so is there a solution for getting the entire row's info parsed over?

PS: I know about Cell linking but that doesn't work from within the same sheet/plan

Regards,

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Mihai Nedelcu

Instead of duplicating information that is already in your sheet, what if you created a specific "Milestones" filter? You can make this filtered a shared filter so anyone accessing the sheet can quickly just see the milestones by selecting this.

When you filter on a Project Sheet, the Gantt chart will reflect just the rows showing, so it would be an easy way to see all your milestones. This way your data will always be up-to-date as well, without needing to write any formulas. It also means that if you need to reorganize rows the filter will adjust as your tasks adjust, whereas a formula may need to be manually updated (if you used a row reference).

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mihai Nedelcu
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for answering and sorry for the late response. While I understand your reply, it doesn't really solve my problem; on the contrary, it adds complexity. I need to configure Smartsheet to be extremely easy to use, with as little things to do as possible. You probably have your organization used to working in "project mode" but some others generally see project management as overhead and some even see it as a waste of time.

I consider this topic closed since it seems there is no viable solution (for me).

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!