Using LARGE with duplicate results?

Options
JLC
JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looking to find, for example, the 10 largest projects in our system by allocated resource hours. But what happens when there are duplicates/projects with the same number of allocated resource hours?

=LARGE(({total hours}), n)

From the result of that formula, in another cell, I then collect that respective project's name using the ref {project name}. So far I've been using this formula as a workaround:

=INDEX((COLLECT({project name}, {total hours}, [cell with LARGE formula]@row)), 1, 1)

However, when the LARGE formula returns two of the same numbers, the INDEX/COLLECT pulls only the first result.

How can I modify the formula to return the "second" project's name? To that end, is there a way I can put this altogether into one formula so I don't run this risk in the first place?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jaye Tatone

Here's one way to do it:

Add a helper column that you will use for your large formula. The helper column will add 1 to each instance that the Hours column repeats. Here's an example of how this can be done:

Helper Column Formula:

=Hours@row + COUNTIF(Hours$1, Hours@row)

LARGE cell formula (in bold blue above):

=LARGE(Helper1:Helper3, 1)

Second project with 12 hours cell formula (in bold red above):

=INDEX((COLLECT(Project:Project, Helper:Helper, Hours5)), 1, 1)

You can hide the Helper column in your reference sheet as needed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ramzi K, do let me know if I'm just misunderstanding but I'm unclear how this will help me. Might need some hand-holding!

Here's an example of what I'm using right now:

I need this list to always return the top 10 allocated projects (by formula as this list changes regularly). I need both the name of the project as well as the number of hours allocated to show in this list. I'm almost wondering if there's a way I can use LARGE to find the largest # of hours but return the project name. Then, use the project name to INDEX/COLLECT the associated hours since the project names will never be repeated (unlike the hours).

Thoughts? Thanks again for your insight.

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Have you tried using the DISTINCT function within your LARGER function to only return the distinct elements? Something like:

=LARGE(DISTINCT({total hours}), n)

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/16/20
    Options

Hi @Ramzi K, I ended up hacking up your formula a bit and it really helped, thank you so much! I had to apply this as a column formula due to the quick-moving and many-hands nature of the referenced master project sheet. As you know, we can't use absolute references in column formulas, so I ended up using the row's project number (which is a number that will never be repeated), converting it to a number using VALUE, then dividing by 1000 to just get a small number to add to the rank. We now have a true ranking system based on the projects' sizes in the reference sheet. In my data sheet I can easily use this ranking system to collect the project name, category, etc based on it's rank (using SMALL to get the 1st through 10th smallest ranks).

Now, I'm taking this one step further and want to break down these projects even more by their categories. However, I'm getting #INVALID VALUE errors when doing so. Here's what I'm currently using:

=INDEX(COLLECT({Project name}, {Project category}, <>"Category to exclude", {Rank}, SMALL({Rank}, n)), 1)

Is there a way I need to rephrase this formula? Essentially I'm getting #INVALID VALUE when it finds a value that IS the category it's supposed to exclude. Hope that makes sense. Here's an example screenshot:

Any ideas?

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jaye Tatone

Can you show a screen shot of the reference sheet so I can get the full picture?

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ramzi K there must've been an error with my sheet as when I logged in this morning they worked just fine. I've had that sometimes if I've added and deleted multiple large cross-sheet column references :) all good now. Thanks again very much for your help!

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to help!

Cheers,

Ramzi

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!