Metric

I have a dashboard and I am trying to pull a metric over that changes everyday. I would like the metric to be shown in real time based from the information entered into the sheet for the day. Sounds easy except every day I just want it to show that day's information. So I would like it to change daily.

I created a report but I can't pull a metric from a report (which would be exactly what I want it to do). Any other ideas. The report would show just that day (since I built the report for "today") but I don't want it to show all the info from the report, just the one field that shows the total.

Any creative ideas? This group is AMAZING! Filled with smart people who always know the answers to my silly questions!

Best Answers

Answers

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mmschneider113031 You could use the sheet summary that would calculate what you want for Today() that way it will update daily.

• Mindy Schneider
    Mindy Schneider ✭✭✭✭

I thought that too but I couldn't figure out how to get it to just pull a total for that day for only set criteria.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmschneider113031

One way to do it is to use the Sheet Summary. Create a field in the sheet summary that adds or counts (depending on what your metric is, with the condition <Date FIeld> = Today().

Use COUNTID, SUMIF, etc.

Then use that metric in your dashboard.

I hope this helps. If you need more specific help, include screen shots and what the metric is and I'll try to help.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭

what criteria are you looking to use?

• Mindy Schneider
    Mindy Schneider ✭✭✭✭

I would like the total number of discharges (calculated on the parent row) just for TODAY day only. Then tomorrow it would update to 0 until staff enter in their discharges. Every row has a date to allow me to set a filter to only show today so staff don't have to scroll through the sheet. I normally have the date column hidden so it's cleaner.

I would love that 22 number to show in sheet summary and then tomorrow it would show 0 but update through the day. I would then have that number flow to my dashboard.

Thanks for your ideas!

• RossL
    RossL ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/09/20

in your sheet summary you could have today's Discharges.

the formula would be

=SumIF(Date:Date,Today(),[No of Discharge : No of Discharge])

• Mindy Schneider
    Mindy Schneider ✭✭✭✭

It's throwing an error...Does that look right?

I updated the wording for my column since it was blocked above but I'm still getting an error:

• Mindy Schneider
    Mindy Schneider ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Still getting an error....It may be me...I am not good at figuring out why it's gives the Unparseable error of death.

• Mindy Schneider
    Mindy Schneider ✭✭✭✭

WAIT! It worked!!! RossL!! You are amazing! Thank you for being a rockstar! Enjoy your weekend!