Formulas not processing for ages

This is a weird one, and it's been happening for some time.

I have a sheet that people add to, in a batch copy and paste style. There are a few columns to the right of the batch data that process the cells and gleam certain information. It's nothing resource-intensive: e.g. in one cell we might have a person's team and sub-team, so the formulas in the columns simply extract the team in one column, and the sub-team in another. A couple of other columns then Index Match against another sheet to pull data, and finally there are a couple of Formula Helper columns that either fire up a checkbox or not, depending on the criteria (again though, not a complex formula).

Now, when someone puts a batch of data into the sheet, Smartsheet does what it does and the formula copies down automatically. However, no results actually show for a while. Sometimes it can take days! It's like it sometimes waits for another person to go in and start playing around before it fires into action.

So the formulas themselves are not intensive. I've streamlined them as much as I can using @row and @cell where necessary. I've tried copying and pasting the values only where possible to minimise the number of formulas. I've tried using the new Column Formula function. And there are only just over 5000 rows which isn't a lot of data! 19 columns, including the formula columns. It can't be at the limit of the sheet or it wouldn't work at all, but it just takes ages to process and it needs to happen immediately or there's absolutely no point using Smartsheet for this purpose.

What am I doing wrong? Other sheets are using the information that is processed in the formula columns, but I don't think that impacts on the performance.

Any ideas? It's driving me mad.

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Colin_G

Have you tried in another browser or the one you're using in private/incognito mode?

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Colin_G
    Colin_G ✭✭✭

Thanks Andree - I've just shared a version with your email without names or email addresses in the sheet. Haven't tried another browser (we have Google Chrome and I can't imagine Explorer will make it better! Also it appears the same for everyone, so I'm sure it isn't a browser issue).

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!