Making automatic links between sheets

Options

Hi there, here is the workflow:

1. User enters data into a form (done).
  2. Form populates a sheet called Master_sheet (done).
  3. One of the entries of the form is a dropdown, lefts say for example: Dog, Fish and Cat
  4. There is an sheet called Dog.
  5. If the person who completes the form chooses the Dog option, the some new entries in the Master_sheet must be automatically duplicated and linked to the corresponding values in the Dog sheet.
  6. Not all the values in the Master-sheet should be linked, only some. Later some values in the Dog sheet will be linked to the Master_sheet (but this can be done manually).

I am not sure how mush automation of links are possible? If the new sheet Dog can also be created automatically, that would even be better.

Thanks for the input!

Marius

Tags:

Answers

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I'm a cofounder of DynamicDuo.io and we build things like this all the time.

Simple solution is do a VLOOKUP on your master sheet for <Animal> - <URL> and then you have the link.

After that, add a workflow to add an entry wherever you need it to be.

I think this will put you in a good spot.

Ryan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Marius Myburg

Part 5, 6. We could set this up with cross-sheet formulas and VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH.

We can create the sheets automatically with the help of a 3rd party service or the Smartsheet API.

Is that an option?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!