Date format on dashboards

Dan Berne
Dan Berne
edited 10/14/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Although I can specify date format on a sheet in the ISO 8106 format, the date widget on the dashboard will only show the standard U.S. format. Is there a way to get the date on the dashboard to show in ISO 8106 for my European colleagues?

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 10/14/20

Hi @Dan Berne

What widget are you using? If you are referring to the Metric Widget, it will pull dates into the dashboard and display them as the default for each users' account in their Personal Settings (see here for more information on default date formats).

So, even though you see MM/DD/YY, your European colleagues will see DD/MM/YY on their view of the dashboard.

Here's my view with English (US) as my personal settings:

Then if I change my settings to English (UK), the date format will automatically adjust based on my settings:

(Note: if you want to test this, you may need to log out then in again to see date formats adjust after updating your settings.)

Please also submit an Enhancement Request for ISO 8106 date formats to appear in Dashboards, since this isn't currently how Metric widgets work.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi, Genevieve

The issue is that colleagues around the world are viewing my dashboard on a global website. Most of them are not Smartsheet users per se. Folks from different regions are often working on the same project and using the same dashboard. What I was hoping for is that Smartsheet would support ISO 8601 Universal Time Display format:

Date and time in UTC: 2020-10-01

That way, it wouldn't matter which region you were in - everyone would use/see the same date format rather than their individual one. Is this something Smartsheet would support?

Thanks,

Dan Berne

• Mehran Bagherian
    Mehran Bagherian ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dan Berne

@Genevieve P.

Dan,

I had similar problem. Smartsheet will not follow your date format on the dashboard, if you are going to show your main dates of the schedule. (Start/End dates of your sheet). You can insert another date column, and make it (=) of your date column, then show this new date on your dashboard. Then it will be shown the date in the same format you decided for that new column in your reference sheet.

• Hey there -

A workaround I've found is to use a formula in my source sheet to display the date with the format I want e.g. 01-Jan-2024

The formula is below, just replace "[Your Column Date]@Row" with your Date Column :

=(DAY([Your Column Date]@Row) + "-" + IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 1, "Jan", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 2, "Feb", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 3, "Mar", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 4, "Apr", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 5, "May", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 6, "Jun", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 7, "Jul", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 8, "Aug", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 9, "Sep", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 10, "Oct", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 11, "Nov", IF(MONTH([Your Column Date]@Row) = 12, "Dec")))))))))))) + "-" + YEAR([Your Column Date]@Row))

Thanks and kind regards,

Florian N

• Hi, I have copied this formula into a 'helper column' on my main sheet and am trying to use an index & match formula to pull the date through on the sheet summary but its coming up with an error #INVALID DATA TYPE.

Can you advise what i am doing wrong?

• Hi @Nikki_85

Is your column and/or summary field set up as Date type?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now