Is it possible to have a Report always query all grids within a folder?

For ease of workflow, I use "Closed" / "Active" folder structures for my projects, to keep organization/navigation simple and relevant to active projects.

Currently, when building a report, you can click a folder to include all grids within the folder. It would be great if the report could retain the folder selection, versus needing to physically update the report query each time a new grid is added or removed from the folder.

Solution Concept: Within the report builder, when the user clicks a folder for grid selections, the system recognizes a folder was selected, and provides a checkbox asking "Would you like to always report on grids within this folder?".

Reports can then be up to date via drag and drop folder/file organization, versus physical updates to the report queries.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Michael Feldmann

Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michael Feldmann

The desired behavior you described is what Smartsheet does today. If you point a report at a folder, all sheets within that folder (as long as they are the same and match the report format) will always be included in the report. Are you not seeing that behavior?

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Hey Ramzi!

I am seeing that behavior when building a report, however, if grids are later removed or added to that folder, you have to physically update the report to the select/remove the grids added/removed.

What I'm hoping for would be, the report will always report on grids within a folder, without having to physically update them each time there are sheets/grids added or removed.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michael Feldmann

Apparently this only works for Workspaces and not folders. So if you point the report at a workspace, your required functionality will work. My apologies for misunderstanding your earlier question.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.