Reoccurring / Repeating Tasks

Hello,

I desperately need to set up reoccurring tasks, some monthly, some quarterly and some annually. Coming from Asana, this was super easy to do but it looks complicated here. I see a reoccurring task template but it is manually/formula based.

Help!

Not being able to do this easily might be a deal breaker :(

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa Miller

May be good to take a step back and revisit your use case to see how best to accomplish it in Smartsheet. Are you looking to send out reminders, create tasks in a project plan, etc?

Look into Copy Row functionality with a date dependent Workflow as one option.

But again, without knowing exactly what your requirements are it is a bit difficult to provide guidance for How To in Smartsheet.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Right know I am looking to create an annual stand alone task list that integrates into a calendar and sends me reminders. I just don't want to have to create an annual task list every single year.

Example:

January 18: Process Payroll (period 1st - 15th)

January 31: W-2's due (previous calendar year)

January 31: Form 941 Due (Q4)

February 3: Process Payroll (period 16th to end)

April 30: Form 941 Due (Q1)

----

Process Payroll - reoccurring on 3rd and 18th of each month

Form 941 - reoccurring quarterly on the last day of the month

W-2's - reoccurring annually on the last day of January

Does that make sense?

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa Miller

Yes it does.

So, to do this, you would need to create a template task list with dates that are dynamic.

To do that, you will need to create formulas for some of the things you need.

For some of the static dates like January 31 of current year for example you would need something like this: =DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), 1, 31)

For things like reoccurring quarterly on the last day of the month - you will need similar formulas like the above: Q1 End would be =DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), 3, 31)

etc.

So not as easy as you're used to, but once you define your formulas you should be good.

One way to do it is to create a Sheet that has all these formulas and you can look then up when needed. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Thanks Ramzi K for your input. This is a doable workaround. In Asana, you can set the reoccurrence to be automatic, rather than manual manipulation. In other words, in Asana I would have one task entry for File Form 941 (set to reoccur quarterly). It looks like in Smartsheets, I need 4 entries using the in my annual calendar. But this will work for now :)

• JamieRW
    JamieRW ✭✭

@Ramzi K, where do you create these formulas in your sheet to make this reoccurring magic happen?