Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Master Project Sheet vs Master Project Report

Options
Faith Glass-Wilson
Faith Glass-Wilson ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

We are looking at implementing either a very large (roughly 160 columns) master project sheet or a master project report. If we go with the master project sheet, teams would work off reports to update their respective data. If we go with the master report, I would aggregate specific data from each team sheet. The end goal is to have one document that is the primary reference. Any pros and cons I should be aware of?

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Faith,

This is a great way for people to see and update only the information they need to focus on, but there are a few differences in reports vs sheets to consider.

Check out our Help Center article on reporting for details on the functionality: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522214-creating-reports

Reports aren't sheets, they find and display sheet data—off the top of my head, I can think of a few important things:

-You must share the source sheet with all collaborators for them to see the data they need in their report.

-Reports don't display hierarchy and may display rows out of order vs how they appear in the sheet.

-Certain cells (cells with formulas in them, certain dependency cells) can't be edited from reports. Check out the above referenced article for more information on this.

This discussion has been closed.