Automation - Alerts for External Users

Options

Hi there,

I am having trouble with the automation in Smartsheet, specifically around alerting external users. The automation is for an issue control sheet, with automation that if "status" = resolved, alert user who logged (via form) with custom message.

The automation works soundly, and when I test it with an internal email (ie from my org) it functions fine, but not when I use my personal gmail account as the contact email, I receive a "not all users will receive notification" message. As it is only external partners that would be logging an issue, it seems I am in a catch 22.

I have reduced the permissions to unrestricted, and naturally don't want to share the sheet contents with all users who have logged an issue.

Any insight or assistance here would be great.

Thanks in advance,

James

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @James Adderley

First, make sure that you have allowed yourself to receive notifications properly in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the upper right corner) and secondly check the Permission setting for the Automations. (cog in the top right corner in the Automation overview)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Adderley
    James Adderley ✭✭✭
    edited 10/20/20
    Options

Hi Andree,

Yes it appears that my own notifications are configured correctly too.

In this example I used a personal email address (eg JohnSmith@mail.com, not linked to a Smartsheet account), just so I could determine if an email would be sent/received. Does that mean that depending on the email that is in the field on the smartsheet, they may not receive this 1) if they don't have Smartsheet or 2) their own notifications are turned off?

There would be no way for me to determine if the users logging on the sheet (via form) fulfil either of the above criteria.

Let me know if I have misunderstood. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

James

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@James Adderley

Happy to help!

No, they don't need to be logged in or even Smartsheet users, but could there be an account restriction set from your Admin.

Confirm Allow List email addresses

Check with the System Admin on your account to ensure all the appropriate email addresses are on the Allow list for your organization.

You can find the email address of your System Admin in Smartsheet by clicking on your profile icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and selecting Account Admin.

Could that be the issue?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• James Adderley
    Options

Thanks Andree, so it could be my gmail account is not "whitelisted" to receive an alert, but external partners may if on an approved list. I will follow up on this with our account admin to see if that does the trick!

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@James Adderley

You're more than welcome!

Let me know what you find out.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!