Sharing Dynamic View to Outside Vendor

ker9
ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

How do you share a dynamic view to an outside vendor who may not have a Smartsheet account?

The email address was added to Shared Users on the Sharing tab.

Restrict View by Current user (General tab) is filtered on the column containing the vendor's email address.

How do they get notified/access to the view? (May not have SS account.)

TIA

Best Answer

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Ramzi K

I cannot share an outside person to our Smartsheet account. Not a secure practice.

Apparently I do not need to share the people anywhere except on the Dynamic View Sharing tab under Shared Users.

Send the URL for the dynamic view to the 3rd party. When they click on the link they will be asked to sign in or create an account and then they will have access.

Answers

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/21/20

@ker9 We have clients that access our Dynamic Views. For those clients, we add them as collaborators on our account (no license required). Then, they can login to Dynamic View or work with a view embedded in a Smartsheet dashboard (still requires login to Dynamic View app). This method of course only works if you know the individual (s) name/email at the Vendor that needs access to the view.

In some cases, I have multiple clients then, I add them to a group as well. So, the steps are:

1. Create a group Vendor DV Users for example.
    2. Add a collaborator John Smith / jsmith@vendor.com to your Smartsheet installation.
    3. Add John Smith the Vendor DV Users group.
    4. Add Vendor DV Users to the Shared groups on the view.

The advantage of the group method, you can add users to the group and automatically they can see the view. Or remove users from the group and so the view.

If you arbitrarily want to share with anyone that is with that vendor --- regardless of email address -- you would share with the vendor's domain, I believe. The Shared domains option is on the Sharing tab of the dynamic view app.

Enable access for an entire domain. What they’ll be able to see and edit depends on the settings chosen on the General, View Display, and Details Panel pages as described in the sections above. (They don’t need to be shared to the source content.) https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2478391-dynamic-view-create-administrate-views#toc-configure-view-conditions-and-sharing-logic

You can test this for yourself with the help of someone wit an email at the vendors.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary_A

I am a system admin on our account and I do not see any options to add someone as a "collaborator". Also, I don't think our security policy will allow adding an outside person to our account.

Is there another option?

Thank you!

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Bump - is there any way to share a dynamic view with an outside vendor without sharing them to the sheet or the account? (They may not have an SS account and might need to create one.)

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9

Try adding a domain in your sharing screen in the DV setup.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your response but doesn't that allow anyone from that domain to access? That is not secure. It needs to be specific email addresses.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9

That's correct. If you need that level of security, you can add all the users to your account as collaborators and then add them, to a group and then share the group to the dashboard.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ramzi K

Thank you for your response. By sharing as a collaborator, do you mean adding them to my personal Smartsheet contacts list?

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/25/20

I tried using a test email that belongs to me. I added it to my Contacts in Smartsheet.

I sent an email with the link to the dynamic view to the test email account.

It was received and an account was setup under the test email address.

After setting up the account and going to the link I receive a message that states "This action is not allowed. Forbidden resource."

I then found that I could open the menu on the upper left (how confusing to someone without knowledge of SS!) and from there I could open the DV.

So I guess the bottom line is very detailed instructions to the 3rd parties along with adding them to my personal contacts list in SS.

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9

No, not to your personal contacts. Add them as non-licensed users to the Smartsheet account.

Cheers,

Ramzi

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Ramzi K

I cannot share an outside person to our Smartsheet account. Not a secure practice.

Apparently I do not need to share the people anywhere except on the Dynamic View Sharing tab under Shared Users.

Send the URL for the dynamic view to the 3rd party. When they click on the link they will be asked to sign in or create an account and then they will have access.

• @ker9 @Ramzi K

So I have sent the URL to the dynamic view to a 3rd party. It is requiring them to create an SS account but is only giving them a 30 day free trial.

Why is the Dynamic View advertised as a collaborative way to communicated with 3rd party vendors if its going to require them to pay for a SS account?

We deal with several vendors who are not going to pay for a service to update the status of work progress and tasks.

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, DV requires a license.

Smartsheet Solutions Architect

www.adapture.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Myles Armstrong

I hope you're well and safe!

To clarify what I think Ramzi meant.

They don't need a license but an account, so Dynamic View knows who it is.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ramzi
    Ramzi ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå is correct. They need to be added as users to Smartsheet (not necessarily licensed).

Smartsheet Solutions Architect

www.adapture.com

• @Andrée Starå

So if I have an Enterprise license, is DV included or is that considered a premium add on?