Roll up not working as expected

I have a project with several tasks that are children of a parent task. The roll-up of the Work and Duration fields of the parent item are not working as expected. For some parent tasks, the roll-up seems fine, but I have other parents whose roll-ups are clearly wrong. I was able to resolve some of this by fixing some circular dependencies that were introduced when I first imported this project from Microsoft Project. But I have a few left that are just not working. Here's one example (redacted):

The highlighted values are in the "Work" column, so I would expect the roll-up to just be the total of the values underneath them. I've tried indenting and "undenting" some of the tasks to try to figure out how Smartsheet is coming up with the totals displayed, but none of it makes sense to me.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? Have you been able to resolve it?

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Michael Sisco

What formula is in the highlighted cells?

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• @Ramzi K

It turns out I was just a little confused. I had created this project by importing a project from MS Project. Since the work column in Project is a "roll-up" column, I assumed it would be in Smartsheet as well. Apparently it is not. I could add the formula to do the roll up manually, but I don't think that's all that useful.

It appears that the program is working as expected, but not necessarily as I'd like.