Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Schedule Cell Linking w/Lag

Options
Megan Burns
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have linked multiple project schedules together, but I'm wondering if there is a way to add lag time between the links? Currently the finish concrete completion date of the first becomes the clearing and grubbing start of the second, but I'm wanting to add a one week lag time between the two while keeping them linked. That way, if concrete is behind schedule on the first, it automatically pushes out the start date of the second. 

Help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Megan,

Take a look at this article, scroll to nearly the bottom and look for "Lag Time and Lead Time"

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765727-enabling-dependencies-using-predecessors

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Craig

• Megan Burns
    Options

Craig,

I appreciate the comment, but that's not quite the issue I'm having. I'm aware of the concept of lag and lead time, what I'm trying to do is include that with a link from another sheet. Sheet 2 start date equals sheet 1 finish date, plus 5 days. The lag/lead time that the article was referring to is used for linking predecessors in the same sheet.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Megan,

OK.

Your use of links for both cell-links and dependencies tripped me up.

Likely the only way to do this is to add another task on Sheet 1 which is the delay and then link the finish date of this cell to Sheet 2's start date.

A cell-link is like a string between two cans. In and of itself, the string has no meaning (or functionality) except the connection.

Because the cell-link is not design as a date or date/time link, it is unlikely (in my opinion) that this would change.

Since you can't add a predecessor the task on Sheet 2 (doing so will remove the link), Sheet 1 is the only place to add the functionality you desire.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.