If And Contains Formula

Options

I'm trying to auto-populate a date that references another column +90 calendar days when another column is true and includes any countries in a list, otherwise, the result will be 'Not applicable.'

=IF(AND([Report]@row = "Corporate Report", ([Assigned Countries]@row CONTAINS("Austria, Belgium...etc"), [Due Date ]@row + 90, "Not applicable")))

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

What part of this doesn't work? Does it come back as unparseable or does it not react like you expected?

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/02/20
    Options

Thank you, David. The formula as written gives me 'Not Applicable', even when the conditions are true.

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's likely an easier way (index/match?) to reference the multiple countries, but this was working for me. You'd just have to keep expanding the OR part to include any that need to be included:

=IF(AND(OR(CONTAINS("Austria", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Denmark", [Assigned Countries]@row)), Report@row = "Corporate Report"), [Due Date]@row + 90, "Not Applicable")

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Nic. I wrote out the formula including each country, but get unparseable:

=IF(AND(OR(CONTAINS("Austria", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Belgium", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Bulgaria", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Croatia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Cyprus", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Czech Republic", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Denmark", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Estonia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Finland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("France", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Germany", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Greece", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Hungary", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Iceland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Ireland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Italy", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Latvia", [Assigned Countries]@row)CONTAINS("Liechtenstein", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Lithuania", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Luxembourg", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Malta", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Netherlands", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Norway", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Poland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Portugal", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Romania", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Slovakia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Slovenia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Spain", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Sweden", [Assigned Countries]@row)), [Type & Category of Report]@row = "Corporate Report"), [Due Date to HA]@row + 90, "Not Applicable")

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Nathan Umbriac

You're missing a comma between Latvia and Liechtenstein:

CONTAINS("Latvia", [Assigned Countries]@row)CONTAINS("Liechtenstein", [Assigned Countries]@row), 

Update it to:

CONTAINS("Latvia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Liechtenstein", [Assigned Countries]@row), 

And you should be good to go!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Genevieve. I'm still getting Not Applicable for all rows.

• Nic Larsen
    Nic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could not find the error in your formula. I retyped it though and was not getting an error so try copy and pasting this one. It was functioning on my sheet. The column type needs to be a Date column.

=IF(AND(OR(CONTAINS("Spain", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Sweden", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Norway", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Poland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Portugal", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Romania", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Slovakia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Luxembourg", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Malta", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Netherlands", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Slovenia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Latvia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Liechtenstein", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Lithuania", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Iceland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Ireland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Italy", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Germany", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Greece", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Hungary", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Estonia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Finland", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("France", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Austria", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Belgium", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Bulgaria", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Croatia", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Cyprus", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Czech Republic", [Assigned Countries]@row), CONTAINS("Denmark", [Assigned Countries]@row)), [Type & Category of Report]@row = "Corporate Report"), [Due Date to HA]@row + 90, "Not Applicable")

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The formula is working, but the only result I get is 'Not Applicable.' Shouldn't I get a date when the formula is true?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Nathan Umbriac

Yes, you should get a date, but only if there's one of the places that you're looking for in the "Assigned Countries" column and there's "Corporate Report" in your other column. Is it possible that there's a difference in spelling or structure in the [Type & Category of Report] column?

If possible, it would be really helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet, but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Genevieve P, you were correct that I was referencing the wrong structure in the [Type & Category of Report] column. Thanks again!!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Glad you got it working! 🙂