Can I include a date from another sheet into a formula for my current sheet?

Options

Hello. I'm pretty new to Smartsheet and can't find an answer to today's dilemma. For example, I have a two sheets: ABC Project (belongs to me) and XYZ Project (belongs to our vendor)

I want to be able to calculate a start date on one of my tasks in ABC Project by pulling a finish date from XYZ Project?

Basically like this: (I know this doesn't represent an accurate formula)

• Finish XZY Project task line4 - 10d = Start Date Project ABC task line 5

I don't want to include project XYZ dates in my sheet, because it'll make our start date look earlier than it actually is.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Alicia Penner

You cannot put formulas in date columns with dependencies.

Except in the first cell that starts every dependencies.

Also, you can have a link in a line above all of your tasks in your project that will link to your vendor's sheet. But you also need to have an access on your vendor's sheet project in order to do that.

Then link that cell to your starting dates.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Alicia Penner

Yes, you can.

I’d recommend using cross-sheet formulas or cell-linking to collect the dates.

How many dates is it, and is there anything unique that we could use to identify them and connect them to the correct rows?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Alicia Penner
    Options

Thanks @Andrée Starå . I forgot to mention that I have dependencies built in, so can't use a formula for the date. (I looks like I can either use a date formula or a dependency, but not both.) I'm still not sure how to calculate my new start date by calculating this from the end date in another sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Alicia Penner

Happy to help!

I'll get back to you if I think of some way to solve it.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Alicia Penner

You cannot put formulas in date columns with dependencies.

Except in the first cell that starts every dependencies.

Also, you can have a link in a line above all of your tasks in your project that will link to your vendor's sheet. But you also need to have an access on your vendor's sheet project in order to do that.

Then link that cell to your starting dates.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!