Automation

Is it possible to include functions in workflows???

For example, everyday @ 11pmEST, I want any rows that have "Completed" checked AND that are 60 days old or more from that days date, to move to another smart sheet.

Please advise if able.

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Izzy,

I am not an expert but from what I know, what you want to do is possible even though functions are not really available in workflows. You can use conditions to make the determination that a certain cell has "Completed" in it or is checked if it is a check box, and you can use a 'helper' field called something like Aged for example to always be the difference between "Completed Date" and TODAY. The "Completed Date" (another helper field) may have to be manually set but you might also be able to just use a formula that says (if the completed box is checked or the status is 'completed' set the date to today). The Aged date will grow every day and at some point will be 60 days old. In your automation condition you look at the Aged field and look for it to be 60 or greater. In your automation, trigger on Every Day at that time and look for those two conditions, and your action would be to move the rows. "Helper" fields are a way to get around some of the limitations but even at times, they do not allow for every condition but in this case, I think what you want to do to archive is very easy to do. If you have more questions, let me know and others that are much more experienced my have other solutions that work better or are more graceful. I hope this helps and if there are better solutions, I hope to learn more as well.

Good Luck,

Kevin Smith

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Izzy

To add to Kevin's excellent advice/answer.

Do you have a date that is changed when it's completed?

If not, please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

As Kevin described, we'd use that date relative to today's date to get the number of days and then use that in the Workflow. We'd only need one helper column because that date would only show if it's completed.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!