Indent/outdent function is disabled

Why would the indent/outdent function be disabled (greyed out) on a sheet that is shared to me? I'm shared as an editor. Do I need to be an Admin to use this function or could this be related to our company license?

Answers

• Hi @Jim Thiesse

You should be able to indent rows and make them Child Rows even with just Editor permissions. Keep in mind that rows need to have data in them in order to be indented (you cannot make a blank row a child row). The parent row also needs to have data in it. Could this be the current issue? Our Help Center has more information on creating hierarchy, here.

If you can confirm that both rows have data in them, but the buttons are still greyed out, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of the sheet you're working in but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I'm having a similar problem where I believe an editor accidently indented a cell in a column that already had an indent. I cannot outdent this one row now and it's messing with some reports. I've attached a screengrab for reference.

First Indent on Primary Column

Second Indent on primary column which I want to remove but it's grayed out

• Hi @amy.peltier

The reason you can't outdent that 2023 row is because it's already as far out as possible. What's happened here is that all the rows below it became Child Rows. Instead of adjusting that top row, select all the rows below that are indented and outdent those rows instead.

Let me know if that helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now