Using Contents from one Date cell to update another Date cell

Options

Im trying to use a 'helper column' to run a formula that checks the contents of a date column/cell, and copies those contents to another date column/cell. The code I'm using is quite simple, so I feel that I must be making a silly error, or it is not possible.

To re-iterate, I have a cell specific date column , and I want to use a function in a helper column to change the contents of another cell IF the contents of the first column meet criteria.

even without logic, I cant find a way for a function to edit the contents of a cell without a function.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this outside of the capabilities of smartsheet?

Regards,

Frank

Tags:

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you share your formula and/or screenshots of the Sheet?

To clarify, your workflow is:

1) Date manually entered in "Date" column

2) Logical formula checks in "Helper Column" checks content of "Date"

3) Based on result of logic in "Helper Column," value in "Output Column" is changed.

If this is correct, the "Helper Column" and "Output Column" both need formulas, though it seems redundant and the "Helper Column" could simply display whatever value you need based on the logic.

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting and reacting w/ 💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome!

PS - If you have a follow up response tag me @SoS | Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

• Frank Palmer
    Options

Thanks for the Reply

Your summary of the desired workflow is correct.

I'm trying to keep The "output" column as a user-editable field. So I dont think a formula in that cell will work.

Maybe some combination of an IF/Match, but i'm not certain how to allow for a user selected value for the cell if a formula is used.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!