Copy Value only and not the function

Hi,

My second column has an IF function based on the first column that returns one of 4 possible values. I then need to preform another function (basic division) in a 3rd column based on the result in the second column. However, when I enter the function it returns a #INVALID OPERATION.

Is there a way to just extract the value from the second column sans function? Or do I need add some sort of helper column?

Thank you,

Bob

Best Answer

Answers

• Jana Brits
    Jana Brits ✭✭✭✭

Here is my test that works:

First column: Programme Manager

Second column: Point score

Third column: Points devided by 2

Second column formula: =IF([Programme Manager]@row = "Anton Kriel", 5, IF([Programme Manager]@row = "Riaan du Preez", 4, IF([Programme Manager]@row = "Dirk Theart", 2, 0)))

Third column formula: =[Point score]@row / 2

My results in my third column:

For Anton Kriel = 2.5

For Riaan du Preez = 2

For Dirk Theart = 1

• Bob Parrett
    Bob Parrett ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. This did not work for me. I need to divide a value in a column by the resulting value from the IF formula column. Basically I have:

Column One: Buses Onsite

Column Two: Occupied Parking Spaces

Column Three: Calculation based on the number of buses =IF([BUSES ONSITE]@row = 0, "42", IF([BUSES ONSITE]@row = 1, "34", IF([BUSES ONSITE]@row = 2, "28", IF([BUSES ONSITE]@row = 3, "20"))))

Column Four: Column Two/Column Three

Still returns an #INVALID OPERATION

It doesn't seem to like dividing by the result of a function. Easy in Excel but I am new to Smartsheet.

Any suggestions?

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/15/20

Dear Bob,

please check the column type and try to write 42 instead of "42" in your formula.

Best Regards

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Bob Parrett
    Bob Parrett ✭✭✭

Thank you both!!!! I removed the commas and it worked.