COUNTIF function for the checkbox?

Options

Hello all! I want to create a graph with checkboxes.

Lets say I have some departments of:

Governance / PMO

M&A

Communication

Commercial

and in my sheets I also have a checkbox column which is ticked based on whether they need support on a project.

I am trying to figure out how to use the countif function to count the whether each department has the box ticked or not. Is this possible or am I using the wrong function?

Thank you

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Matt Welton
    Options

I made a test version. So I have been making a separate sheet for the formulas but theoretically I would want to have which departments have checked the support required checkbox. Thank you Aravind!

• Aravind GP
    Aravind GP ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Matt,

So in this case, you can use the COUNTIFS formula. For the sheet shared, you can use the formula in the same sheet under Sheet Summary or a different metric sheet. If you use the same sheet, the formula for Communication department support will be "=COUNTIFS([Department]:[Department], "Communication", [Support Required]:[Support Requited], 1)". You can use the same formula for all departments by replacing the word "Communication" with the other departments one by one to get the count for each department.

If you are using a separate metrics sheet, you can reference this sheet and select the Department column as the first range and the support required column as the second range.

Thanks,

Aravind

Associate Director

Copernicus Consulting Pte. Ltd.

P: +65 9230 5657 | E: aravind@copernicusworld.com

Feel free to reach out for licenses, services, and training on Smartsheet

• Matt Welton
    Options

Thank you. That is great. Cheers for all the help. :)

• Matt Welton
    Options

Hey Apologies to ask again. But how would I do this formula in another sheet and referencing the data?

• Aravind GP
    Aravind GP ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Matt,

As mentioned in my previous response. If you are using a separate metrics sheet, you can reference this sheet and select the Department column as the first range and the support required column as the second range.

So, do the equals and COUNTIFS and before selecting the columns, click on the "Reference another sheet", then you can select the sheet followed by the columns.

Thanks,

Aravind

Associate Director

Copernicus Consulting Pte. Ltd.

P: +65 9230 5657 | E: aravind@copernicusworld.com

Feel free to reach out for licenses, services, and training on Smartsheet

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!