Summary Fields showing number of rows based upon existing Filter: Options.

Antony Kingston
edited 11/29/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I find writing the script for the Summary Fields quite difficult sometimes, especially with a complicated filter. Often, the actual data reported when a filter is selected is not important. All that is required is an easy way to display the number of rows returned and this only shows for a short time after the filter is selected.

I would like to propose that this is made easier as follows.

There are several options to achieve this. I find writing the script for the Summary Fields quite difficult sometimes, especially with a complicated filter. Often, the actual data reported when a filter is selected is not important. All that is required is an easy way to display the number of rows returned and this only shows for a short time after the filter is selected.

I would like to propose that this is made easier and provide a few options below.

1. Add a check box to each filter editing dialog to allow the number of rows in the filter to become a Summary Field.
  2. Add an option when creating a Summary Field to link it with an existing filter rather than starting from scratch with a formula.
  3. Change the way the Summary Fields are created by allowing a dialog box similar to that used for creating filters.
  4. When creating a filter, have a field that shows the resulting formula which can then be copied and pasted into a new manually created summary field. (This would be a good starting place.)
  5. This may involve the creation of a different type of Summary Field, leaving the existing facility untouched.

I would welcome any feedback from Smartsheet and from the community.