Row comments missing from WF Automation email

Our automated workflow Alert is not including the attachment or the comments in the emails. However those fields are included in the Smartsheet Notification (bell on top right hand side). Please note- this is not an issue on all of our Alerts, but we haven't been able to identify why some are having this problem.

Any thoughts on why the attachments and comments aren't being included in the emails?

AUTOMATION WF SETUP

SAMPLE EMAIL

SAMPLE NOTIFICATION IN SMARTSHEET

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rebekah Pound

Attachments and Comments will be included in the email alert if they were added/updated at the same time as the trigger for the alert, however historical data in these fields are not able to be included.

For example, if I attached a file yesterday, but then today changed the Status to "Completed Revision Needed", then the attachment wouldn't be in the email since it was added to the row before the workflow ran.

But, if I adjusted the status and attached the file during the same save of the sheet, then the workflow will trigger and send the information of the newly attached file along with the email notification. Does that make sense?

If you want to make sure that the attachment is included in the email, you could change the trigger to be when an attachment is added (see here)and then have the condition be that the Status should be this specific criteria, but keep in mind that this would mean the status would need to be changed before the attachment is added.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rebekah Pound

Attachments and Comments will be included in the email alert if they were added/updated at the same time as the trigger for the alert, however historical data in these fields are not able to be included.

For example, if I attached a file yesterday, but then today changed the Status to "Completed Revision Needed", then the attachment wouldn't be in the email since it was added to the row before the workflow ran.

But, if I adjusted the status and attached the file during the same save of the sheet, then the workflow will trigger and send the information of the newly attached file along with the email notification. Does that make sense?

If you want to make sure that the attachment is included in the email, you could change the trigger to be when an attachment is added (see here)and then have the condition be that the Status should be this specific criteria, but keep in mind that this would mean the status would need to be changed before the attachment is added.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve