Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Dynamic Hierarchy

Options

I am in the process of developing some work flow sheets for my team and I would like them to do the bulk of their submissions via web forms. Is there a way to create dynamic hierarchy whereby when a form is submitted, x criteria places that new submission under the correct "Parent"? 

Let's say that I have 3 Categories within my sheet;

Test Cs

Test Ds

Test Es

I want to make these three categories the parent categories and anything related to them would then become children that get indented. However I would like my team to add rows by completing a form online. Is there a way to have those rows dynamically adopt the "child" status?

Comments

• Joshua Swenson
    Options

Clarification with "tentative formula example"

Let's say I have 4 Columns; Main, 1, 2, 3

Test Cs

Test Ds

Test Es

Are all "Parents" in "Main"

Column 3 in my form allows me to choose Parent. What I would like is a formula that dynamically looks at column 3 of any new row and defines it as child of corresponding parent. In other words;

=if(3 = "Test Es", PARENT(Test Es))

So the question is... is there an easy way to do that? like with vlookup? Is this even an opion?

Craig, I'm looking at you!

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Josh,

Webforms enter info onto the top line of a sheet.  There isn't an IF or other UI formula that would move the row into a heirarchy.

One possible work around would be to create reports that parse the entries into the correct groups.    This admittedly would not have the same functionality as a Parent-Child relationship, but would group your entries.

-Brett

• Joshua Swenson
    edited 02/21/17
    Options

I'm actually surprised no one has asked this question before. 

I would think this would be a common need / desire as it would instantly make smartsheets a dynamic organizational tool.

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Joshua,

If you have a programmer in your midst, you can build this type of functionality out in the API.  The API covers most scenarios that you could think of.

-Brett

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Joshua,

One small clarification on what Brett said: entries from WebForms can be either top or bottom of the sheet.

And this feature has been requested previously. Quite a few times by my count.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.