Duration Minus Lag

Is there a way to have the parent row in the duration column provide a summary of only the working time. For example, in the parent cell below i would like it to provide 2 hours (or 0.125d) instead of 1.123d since the total duration for the children rows are 1 hour each.

My current workaround is creating an extra column that uses the following formula:

=IF(SUM(CHILDREN(Duration@row)) = 0, (ROUND(Duration@row * 8, 1)), ROUND(SUM(CHILDREN(Duration@row)) * 8, 1))

This formula works well for the most part but stumbles when there is a second layer of children.

Answers

• Hi @Beri Shifaw

As you've found, the Parent Rollup functionality takes the earliest start date of the children and the latest end date of the children to calculate the duration (see the section on Duration in this Help Center article, here). Please let the Product Team know about your feedback on this function, here!

The formula you have seems like a good workaround. How many levels/layers do you have? You could potentially paste a different formula in those top-parent rows that simply says =SUM(CHILDREN()) to Sum up the second level calculations you've created.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Sounds like there isn't an integrated option at the moment and I'll need to carry on with the formula.

I'll see what I can do to improve the formula, thanks for the suggestion. I don't see myself using any more than 4 levels