Parent Row Check Box Complete when all child rows are checked off

2»

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BESP10

Is there a separate formula that populates the children checkbox? If yes, we can differentiate the formula between the Parent and Children by using an IF to first see if it's a Parent row. If you are planning to manually update the checkboxes in the children rows you cannot use a column formula period.

Assuming you do have a formula for Children row checkbox

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN(Scope@row)) > 0, IF(COUNT(CHILDREN(Scope@row)) = COUNTIFS(CHILDREN(), 1), 1, 0), IF(whatever formula is for children rows))

This first checks to see if it's a Parent row by counting how many children are found in the primary column. If it finds children, it runs the Parent row formula. If no children are found, then the row is a child row and it runs the Child formula.

Will this give you what you need?

• BESP10
    BESP10 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KDM

There is no formula in the child rows and when I put the formula in I get this error. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey

Did you delete the reference to the child formula? Is the last parenthesis blue which indicates the correct number of parentheses are present ? Are the column names in the formula colored or black- colored indicates all column names are correctly spelled and present in sheet? A screenshot of the formula will help.

This said, you cannot have formulas and manual entry happening in the same cell and maintain autofilling of formulas to new rows. If you were trying to make the formula a column formula - column formulas prevent any editing to the cell once it becomes a column formula which means no manual entry will be allowed. If not using a column formula, a manual entry will overwrite the formula within the cell, which will stop the auto-filling as new rows are generated to the sheet. You will constantly be copying the formula down the cell to new rows.

If you cannot find a way to make the child rows trigger off a formula, you can create a helper column that equals this column and run your formula off of that helper column. Does that make sense?