running sum without explicit cell reference

Options

Hi

i have a formula that sums values in a column from row 1 to current row

=IF(CurrentRecordHelper@row = 0, "", SUM(CurrentRecordHelper$1:CurrentRecordHelper@row))

is there any way to replicate this without the explicit row reference ($1), so it can be converted to a column formula

many thanks in advance

Andy

Tags:

Best Answer

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Andy Counsell

To add to @Mark Cronk's idea.

Add the below 2 helper columns:

1. "LINE-ID" : Auto Number Column
    2. "ROW#" : Column Formula: =MATCH([LINE-ID]@row, [LINE-ID]:[LINE-ID], 0)

Then your formula would be this:

=IF(CurrentRecordHelper@row = 0, "", SUMIFS(CurrentRecordHelper:CurrentRecordHelper), [ROW#]:[ROW#], <= [Row#]@row))

The downside of using just the Auto-Number is if someone moves the rows around it may add that to your sum (even though it is lower down on the sheet). By creating the helper ROW# column it will always only pull from the values above it.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Andy Counsell ,

I think you have to use a workaround if you want to use a column formula. Add a Row ID column as an Auto-Number. The column will populate with numbers low to high, top to bottom.

In your sum column use the formula:

=IF(CurrentRecordHelper@row = 0, "", SUMIFS(CurrentRecordHelper:CurrentRecordHelper), [Row ID]:[Row ID], <= [Row ID]@row))

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Andy Counsell

To add to @Mark Cronk's idea.

Add the below 2 helper columns:

1. "LINE-ID" : Auto Number Column
    2. "ROW#" : Column Formula: =MATCH([LINE-ID]@row, [LINE-ID]:[LINE-ID], 0)

Then your formula would be this:

=IF(CurrentRecordHelper@row = 0, "", SUMIFS(CurrentRecordHelper:CurrentRecordHelper), [ROW#]:[ROW#], <= [Row#]@row))

The downside of using just the Auto-Number is if someone moves the rows around it may add that to your sum (even though it is lower down on the sheet). By creating the helper ROW# column it will always only pull from the values above it.

• Andy Counsell
    Options

Many thanks i will try that right now

• Andy Counsell
    Options

many thanks for your help. works perfectly and it's been bugging me for ages

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!