Count how many formula questions

Options

Hello All:

I'm working on a product development sheet and we have products going live in different months, I created a column that has a drop-down for each month where I select the right month on the product row.

The question I want to easily sum how many products we have lined up by month. What would be the easiest way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

MH

Tags:

Best Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/27/20 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Meny Hoffman ,

You can build the count formulas in the sheet summary. From there you can use them in a report or dashboard or just view them in the summary.

Build a field for each month. The formula for January would be =COUNTIF([Month]:[Month], "January")

You'll need to change [Month] to the name of your month column. Since you're using drop downs your month is going to be text, not a date. Copy and past 11 times to create a fid for each month.

If you have more than 1 year in your sheet you'll need to add to the formula to only count the current year.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/03/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Meny,

For a single criterion you would us a SUMIF formula. The syntax is: =SUMIF( range, criterion, [ sum_range ])

Your formula would be along the lines of:

=SUMIF(month:month, "January", cost:cost)

It says, where the month is January, sum the costs.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/27/20 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Meny Hoffman ,

You can build the count formulas in the sheet summary. From there you can use them in a report or dashboard or just view them in the summary.

Build a field for each month. The formula for January would be =COUNTIF([Month]:[Month], "January")

You'll need to change [Month] to the name of your month column. Since you're using drop downs your month is going to be text, not a date. Copy and past 11 times to create a fid for each month.

If you have more than 1 year in your sheet you'll need to add to the formula to only count the current year.

Help?

Mark

• Meny Hoffman
    Meny Hoffman ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark A Shampine Thank you so much, this worked!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Gappy to help Meny. Please accept my answer to close the discussion.

Be well,

Mark

• Meny Hoffman
    Meny Hoffman ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark Cronk a quick follow-up question. I have another column which calculates the total cost for each product, how can I create a total of all cost that will calculate the total all products that have [Month], "January"

Your help is greatly appreciated!

MH

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/03/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Meny,

For a single criterion you would us a SUMIF formula. The syntax is: =SUMIF( range, criterion, [ sum_range ])

Your formula would be along the lines of:

=SUMIF(month:month, "January", cost:cost)

It says, where the month is January, sum the costs.

Work?

Mark

• Meny Hoffman
    Meny Hoffman ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!