Where can I learn more about the "Dynamic Dropdown" option found under Control Center?

Willie Tsui
Willie Tsui ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I found it in Control Center under Customize Profile Data? How can we make the best use of it?

Best Regards

Will Tsui

GTG Creation

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Willie Tsui & @tcalvey

If your plan has access to it, you may want to book a Pro Desk session (here) specific to Control Center where you can go through any functions that aren't clear in the Help Center or Learning tracks.

I would describe the Dynamic Dropdown option in the Customize Profile Data section of Control Center as similar to Conditional Logic in Forms, but between two dropdown lists.

You select values from a Parent Dropdown and specify what values should appear in this second, Dynamic Dropdown. So, if I have a Parent Dropdown with "Fruits, Vegetables, Meat..." etc, I can configure this second dropdown to show the options of "Apples, Oranges, Pears" only when "Fruits" is selected.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Willie Tsui Got some follow-up with support (Thanks Yan!) on building the dynamic drop-down. The verbiage in the help article is a little fuzzy.

He outlined the following steps:

• Create a user-entered dropdown first (I filled mine with automotive manufacturers) add the values you want for the "parent" level dropdown
    • Create a user-entered dynamic dropdown (I used vehicle model)
    • For "Parent Dropdown Field" select the previously created drop down list (Make)

From there you'll need to select the value, and add the corresponding drop-down values (comma separated) to each list.

In what I've tested this dynamic drop-down can only be interacted with when creating a project in control center. Hopefully in the future a similar interaction can be done with forms in a sheet.

I haven't seen a way to do this using an intake sheet with drop-down values; it appears to need to be made in control center as the "add new user entered manually" fields. If I'm wrong in my interpretation @Genevieve P please correct me! I'd love to learn more and start using this more often for our builds.

Thanks!

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Willie Tsui 

Hope you are fine, you can register in "Smartsheet Center of Excellence" and you will find the best training for every issue you need.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Willie Tsui
    Willie Tsui ✭✭✭

I went through the whole course and most of the related materials. I cannot find any explanation about the use of Dynamic Dropdown list. It sounds very useful but where and how to use it. Thank you.

Best Regards

Will Tsui

GTG Creation

• tcalvey
    tcalvey ✭✭✭✭

I, too, am looking for more info on this feature.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Willie Tsui & @tcalvey

If your plan has access to it, you may want to book a Pro Desk session (here) specific to Control Center where you can go through any functions that aren't clear in the Help Center or Learning tracks.

I would describe the Dynamic Dropdown option in the Customize Profile Data section of Control Center as similar to Conditional Logic in Forms, but between two dropdown lists.

You select values from a Parent Dropdown and specify what values should appear in this second, Dynamic Dropdown. So, if I have a Parent Dropdown with "Fruits, Vegetables, Meat..." etc, I can configure this second dropdown to show the options of "Apples, Oranges, Pears" only when "Fruits" is selected.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Willie Tsui
    Willie Tsui ✭✭✭

I am also checking the recent release of Data Shuttle. There is another way to do dropdowns dynamically. Great and Excited!

Best Regards

Will Tsui

GTG Creation

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Willie Tsui Got some follow-up with support (Thanks Yan!) on building the dynamic drop-down. The verbiage in the help article is a little fuzzy.

He outlined the following steps:

• Create a user-entered dropdown first (I filled mine with automotive manufacturers) add the values you want for the "parent" level dropdown
    • Create a user-entered dynamic dropdown (I used vehicle model)
    • For "Parent Dropdown Field" select the previously created drop down list (Make)

From there you'll need to select the value, and add the corresponding drop-down values (comma separated) to each list.

In what I've tested this dynamic drop-down can only be interacted with when creating a project in control center. Hopefully in the future a similar interaction can be done with forms in a sheet.

I haven't seen a way to do this using an intake sheet with drop-down values; it appears to need to be made in control center as the "add new user entered manually" fields. If I'm wrong in my interpretation @Genevieve P please correct me! I'd love to learn more and start using this more often for our builds.

Thanks!

• Genevieve P.

@Chris Mondeau

Thank you so much for posting this explanation and step-by-step guide! This is great. I've made it the Accepted Answer for this thread in case other users come across the same question.

• sundries
    sundries
    edited 10/25/21

Thank you Genevieve, Willie, et al for posting and discussing solution. I am using a trial subscription right now and don't see the control center.

Is the Control Center only a feature of the Enterprise subscription?

Or can the Pro or Business Smartsheet subscriptions utilize Dynamic Dropdowns?

All the best,

RJ

• Genevieve P.

Hi @sundries

The Control Center add-on is only available to purchase with the Advance Package, which requires an Enterprise plan. Here's more information on Control Center.

Cheers,

Genevieve