Data Uploader Parent Row?

Ian Cooper
Ian Cooper ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

In the above example, my customer uploads a spreadsheet with values. The highlighted row is the example. The rows below it are essentially child rows and I want it to take on the site and submitted by from the parent row.

I can think of a way where I can add more columns and modify the template they use, but that would require additional buy-in from the customer and expanding beyond my 50 columns.

Answers

• Hi @Ian Cooper

I don't quite understand what the question is or what you're looking to do. Would you mind explaining the process a little more, or even post a mock-up of what you would like the end result to be?

As a note, Data Uploader does not automatically put new rows in a hierarchy; new rows will appear at the bottom of the sheet and you can then manually move the row to your desired parent row to indent them. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Ian Cooper
    Ian Cooper ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. I apologize for the delay in response. The way my process currently works is my customer will attach an excel file to a Smartsheet form to submit their RFQ. So that entry goes into row 1 as an example. Row 1 has a key field that assigns the customer a unique value for their RFQ. We will use RFQ0001 as an example. Then the data uploader reads that attachment and enters the data from the Excel spreadsheet to the next 50 rows.

What I am looking for is a way to automatically assign a parent/child relationship when this happens. Because RFQ0002 is a child of RFQ0001, I want a way to make note of that in the Smartsheet. That way when I reply back to my customer, I can reference the unique reference from their original request.

• Hi @Ian Cooper

Thank you for clarifying! There currently isn't a way to automate hierarchy in a sheet, through Data Shuttle or in the Smartsheet app itself. Please let our Product team know why this feature would be useful for you by filling in this form, here!

As an alternative, you could use a Report based on this sheet to Group by each customer, keeping their requests together, and then Sort it by the Reference number so this number is always the top row.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Ian Cooper
    Ian Cooper ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the feedback, but the suggestion won't work. Essentially, I need a way to make the row that has an attachment the parent row and the subsequent rows added via the data uploader the children rows.

I'll keep working on it. Again, appreciate the feedback.