Automated Copy / Move rows between sheets - just copy some columns

Dear all,

I'm a project manager and recently started using Smartsheet. I'm trying to configure an intake-prioritization and approval process for all the projects requested by our users.

I have my main sheet called it : Project Requested 2021

then I created another sheet for the projects approved by the Board: Project Approved 2021

and I'd like to move or copy some of the projects that were approved, but I don't want to transfer all the columns, just relevant information .

is it possible to do that ? automatically copy some rows but not all the columns in the row?

if it's not possible, what would you suggest to do ? Could you recommend some good practice to stablish this type of process ?

Thank you so much,

Ana Hernandez

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It is not possible to select which columns are moved or copied, but you are able to hide the unnecessary columns in the destination sheet so that they are not visible.

thinkspi.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It is not possible to select which columns are moved or copied, but you are able to hide the unnecessary columns in the destination sheet so that they are not visible.

thinkspi.com

• Thank you so much @Paul Newcome

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

thinkspi.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ana Hernandez

To add to Paul's excellent advice/answer.

You could use cross-sheet formulas and either VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH to collect it to the other sheet.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you so much for the advice, I like the idea of using VLOOKUP but I'm not sure how can I automate the transfer once the status of the project has change to "Approved".

is it possible to include a formula in an automated workflow?

many thanks in advance,

Ana

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ana Hernandez

We wouldn't use the automated workflow. Instead, we would use a cross-sheet formula structure and collect the information when the project is Approved.

Make sense?

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Yes, make sense. 👍️

thank you so much @Andrée Starå

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could also just hide the irrelevant columns on the destination sheet so they don't appear. Or toss them into a report/dashboard to filter out the columns you don't desire. Honestly though this sounds like something you could just have a master sheet and reports siphoning off data from the single sheet if you want.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ana Hernandez

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!