Setting date based upon another date

Markalexo
Markalexo
edited 01/13/21 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everyone,

I am seeking help in setting a date column based upon another date column.

Put simply, I have a "date received" column and a "created" column, where the created column populates automatically based upon the time a submission was made using a form. The "date received" column I have been manually setting, as any work received after close of business (5:00pm) we consider as being received the following day. So I'm seeking help in writing a formula that essentially says "If (created) is greater than 5:00pm and less than 11:59pm, set (date received) to tomorrow. If (created) is earlier than 5:00pm, set (date received) to today".

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try something like this...

=DATEONLY(Created@row) + IF(VALUE(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, DATEONLY(Created@row) + " ", ""), FIND(":", SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, DATEONLY(Created@row) + " ", "")) - 1)) <> 12, VALUE(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, DATEONLY(Created@row) + " ", ""), FIND(":", SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, DATEONLY(Created@row) + " ", "")) - 1)) >= 5, FIND("P", Created@row) > 0), 1)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Markalexo
    Markalexo
    edited 01/13/21

Hi Paul,

This seems to be right on the right track, however I've run into one snag, where the "helper" column you suggested seems to not work properly for any entry later than 4pm. Do you have any suggestions on how to get around this? I basically copied exactly what you suggested, with the "Date Helper" column containing:

=SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, DATEONLY(Created@row), "")

And the "Test Due Date" column containing:

=DATEONLY(Created@row) + IF(AND(VALUE(LEFT([Date Helper]@row, FIND(":", [Date Helper]@row) - 1)) <> 12, VALUE(LEFT([Date Helper]@row, FIND(":", [Date Helper]@row) - 1)) >= 5, FIND("P", [Date Helper]@row) > 0), 1)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. Lets try this... Replace the formula in the Date Helper column with this formula:

=SUBSTITUTE(Created@row, LEFT(Created@row, FIND(" ", Created@row)), "")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com