Set a maximum value in a form field

Options

Wondering if there is a way to limit a field in a form to a specific maximum number. If the maximum number we accept is 20, how can the field automatically reject an entry of 25 and not let the form be submitted? I cannot create a static dropdown, because its tracking a dollar amount which can vary wildly between 0 and 20 dollars.

We've converted a number of Google forms to Smartsheet and are running into issues with our population 'not reading' the helper text and causing frustration and complicating a simple process.

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jennifer Locke ,

Smartsheets can't do a real time check. A workaround is to create an update request automation that emails the submitter prompting them to change the value if it was greater than 25. Update forms are pretty painless for the user but it still another step.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/15/21
    Options

Hi @Jennifer Locke

To add to Mark's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be to use the Conditional Logic in forms to show a message if the value is over 25.

I'd recommend adding a condition for maybe 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 (or what makes sense for the process), but I would combine it with Mark's suggestion of an Update Request for everything over 25.

Then you can minimize those that submit anyway, but if they do, they will get an update request to update the value.

The method above can also be structured so the submission wouldn't even be added to the main sheet if the value isn't correct by using a so-called helper sheet and move/copy row automation.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!