Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Smartsheet jira connector row issue

Lakshmi Patil
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi all,

I have a project sheet which is connected to jira. Everytime the connector gets updated some of the rows that i have arranged/sorted get moved in smarsheet. Is there a way where i can fix the rows in one place and only the fields can get updated when the connector is updated. The locking row option doesnt help here.

Does anyone have a solution for this.

Thanks!  

Comments

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee

Hello Lakshmi, 

Can you please confirm if you are using row grouping in your workflow? Row grouping is the only feature that should be moving rows when a workflow runs. If you are using row grouping, it’s possible that you are dragging rows from one section of hierarchy to another, and they are moved back to the previous section when the workflow runs again, does that sound like what is happening? 

If this is what’s happening, this would be expected behavior. Clicking and dragging won’t tell the workflow that you are trying to change the classification of that task. Instead you can use the drop down column for what you are grouping the tasks by. If you change the drop down cell for that task to the correct category, the next time the workflow runs, the row will be moved to the proper section of hierarchy. The drop down column controls which section of hierarchy the row belongs to.  

If this isn’t what is happening, or if you would like additional support on how row grouping is supposed to happen, please contact support@smartsheet.com and provide some additional details, and we’ll be sure to investigate further. 

-Zack 

• Thanks Zack. I figured out the group by option this morning after my post.  The group by doesnt help me here. But the drop down column might help. When you say it will move to the proper section of hierarchy what do you mean here. Can you please clarify. Because i wouldnt want to group by my items according to epic but say feature wise that some may not have an epic and if some have a different epic in the same feature. 

Thanks. 

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee

Hello Lakshmi, 

When you select to group by rows, there will be a section of hierarchy created for each option on the field you are grouping by. When you change the drop down value for that field, and select another category, the row will move to that categories section of hierarchy. You can group by epic if you like, but as you mentioned you wouldn’t want to do that, you can group by another field as well. 

For example, if you were grouping rows by Status, and you had an available status’ of Open, In Progress, and Complete you will see a section of hierarchy created for each option, and will also have a Status column where you can change this. If you have a row in the In Progress section, and change the status drop down to Complete, that row will move to the Complete hierarchy section the next time the workflow runs.  However dragging a row from In Progress to the Complete section would not work the same way. If you drag a row to the new section rather than changing the drop down, the row will be moved back to its original section, as it is using the drop down column to control which section of hierarchy it is in. 

Let men now if you have any additional questions. 

-Zack

• Can you help clarify this further. I'm having what I think is the same issue. For example, row "Software documents" has a grouping of 6 rows. Once Jira updates, it removes the grouping and usually moves the rows. I tried making SW docs an epic and linking the tasks but it still moves the rows around. 

• I too am seeing this type of behavior. I have imported one epic and like Lakshmi, I want to group several stories into features. I re-arrange the rows in my sheet and when the integration updates, it appears to move my rows back into a random order, disregarding my groupings. Any help on this?

This discussion has been closed.