COUNTIFS Blank, Not Blank

I need to count the number of contracts in a column that have a BLANK contract status. I'm counting the Contract Amount column but don't need to sum it. Here's the formula I've started:

=COUNTIFS({Contract Amount}, ISBLANK({Contract Status}, @cell))

Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/21 Answer ✓

Hey,

Sorry, I did the other formula via mobile app. Your original formula is using the syntax of a SUMIFs, which has the range you want to sum plus criteria range, criteria. COUNTIFS just has criteria range, criteria

=COUNTIFS({Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell))

• Nick Allgauer
    Nick Allgauer ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Close. A friend of mine found this one to work well:

=COUNTIFS({Contract Amount}, NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), {Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell))

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=COUNTIFS({Contract Amount}, {Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell))

Kelly

• Nick Allgauer
    Nick Allgauer ✭✭✭✭

It's giving me #invalid operation for that formula

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/21 Answer ✓

Hey,

Sorry, I did the other formula via mobile app. Your original formula is using the syntax of a SUMIFs, which has the range you want to sum plus criteria range, criteria. COUNTIFS just has criteria range, criteria

=COUNTIFS({Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell))

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nick Allgauer ,

Did Kelly's answer work for you. It looks correct. If it did, please accept her answer to close the discussion. If it didn't let us know and we'll come up with another option. Thank you for using the Community.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Nick Allgauer
    Nick Allgauer ✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/17/21

Editing my response. I don't think that worked. It's showing that there are 62 blanks in the Contract Status column, but it's not cross-referencing the Contract Amount column.

What I need it to do is look at the Contract Status column to see if it's blank. If so, count the Contract Amount column. If the Contract Amount column is also blank, don't count this line item.

Ultimately, I'm trying to count all of the times there is a Contract Amount entered where there is no Contract Status.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nick Allgauer ,

Try:

=COUNTIFS({Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell), {Contract Amount},@cell>0)

Work for you?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Nick Allgauer
    Nick Allgauer ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Close. A friend of mine found this one to work well:

=COUNTIFS({Contract Amount}, NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), {Contract Status}, ISBLANK(@cell))

• Is there an equivalent formula that can be used for the Sheet Summary? I'd like to, at the sheet level, count Column B, Item X (there are also Item W, Item Y and Item Z so this formula would be repeated for each Item in Column B), by Column C, Date (if the date is entered, it is counted and if it has not been entered, it does not get counted).