Why isn't my automation working correctly?

In my sheet I have a column with a countif formula that's referencing another sheet.

I have an automation that sends an approval request when this column changes.

When the value changes for some reason the approval request is not being sent. Any ideas on whats going wrong here?

Best Answers

• Daniel Comninos
    Answer ✓

Sorry it's working now I'm not sure why

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Daniel Comninos

This Help Article has a good explanation of why this is happening, see the final bullet point: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed.

"Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approval, Move rows, Copy rows, Lock rows, and Unlock rows."

Therefore, when you first put the formula into the cell, the act of adding the formula will trigger the workflow since that's a manual act, adding in data. However if you want it to trigger when that formula auto-updates to different numbers, the workflow won't be able to do that (does that make sense?)

You could use a time-based automation for this instead, with the formula as part of the criteria. Let me know if you need help with this!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Daniel Comninos
    Answer ✓

Sorry it's working now I'm not sure why

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Daniel Comninos

This Help Article has a good explanation of why this is happening, see the final bullet point: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed.

"Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approval, Move rows, Copy rows, Lock rows, and Unlock rows."

Therefore, when you first put the formula into the cell, the act of adding the formula will trigger the workflow since that's a manual act, adding in data. However if you want it to trigger when that formula auto-updates to different numbers, the workflow won't be able to do that (does that make sense?)

You could use a time-based automation for this instead, with the formula as part of the criteria. Let me know if you need help with this!

Cheers,

Genevieve