Calendar App

jgneely72151
jgneely72151 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi! I'm new to the Calendar App. I was wondering if there is a way to show time blocks on the calendar. When I send to iCal to view in Outlook, everything shows up in the banner meaning everything is an all day event when it isn't. Not sure if this can be done or not but thought I'd ask. We are using the calendar app for room availability. We want to show when a room is occupied and during which time block. If this can't be done, totally understand. Right now, it's too many click throughs for the end user to see what rooms are assigned to a course. Looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Answers

• Hello @jgneely72151,

As of now, we do not have dedicated Time functions. With this, you may wish to raise an Enhancement Request using the 3 horizontal line / hamburger menu in the top left of this page.

Contrary to this, if you are adding these times manually, you could attempt the following:

Assuming your Sheet may look similar to this, I used the following Formula within the "Combined" Column:

=[Task Name]@row + ":" + [Start Time]@row + "-" + [End Time]@row

Once the "Task Name" Column in the Calendar App has been changed to reference my "Combined" Column, the Calendar App shows the above entries as such:

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Sean

• jgneely72151
    jgneely72151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sean Morgan Hi Sean! Thank you so much for laying this out. So there is nothing wrong with what you provided. The problem we are having is that we used to house our courses and resource rooms all in Outlook so that we can see at a glance what rooms were taken, location, date and time frame. Now, we can only see a portion of the information and have adjusted what's important to see by placing the course and site location on the primary field so that we can see it at a glance on the calendar but then we have have to hoover our mouse over or click through to find out what the resource rooms are as well as the time blocks. I discovered that when we import it to Outlook, it stuffs everything in the banner which is not going to help our team or even let our requestors see if a resource room is taken. We don't want to go back to Outlook because the workflow attached to those rooms are just better in Smartsheet because it's attached to a form request. Anyhow, the calendar piece is critical in what our viewers can see in real-time. So, I will go ahead and leave an enhancement request and hope that the calendar feature can accommodate time blocks in the very near future. Project Management/Gantt view is not the only reason why we use the Smartsheets. We've learned to automate a number of different tracking uses in Smartsheet; however, this one thing is causing us to have to find another solution as we will not revert back to what was done in the past. Again thanks and hope to see this as a new enhancement soon.

• Hello @jgneely72151 ,

Thank you so much for the feedback!

I definitely understand these pain areas and the knockback effect this can have.

I too hope to see this feature!

Kindest Regards

Sean