Single request for update with Multiple Tasks

Options

I can send out a single request for update for every task that is assigned to the person(s), however, these person(s) are working on multiple tasks at the same time. I need a daily update of their progress. So, each person may be recieving 20 or 25 seperate requests each day. That's just not doable.

Is there a way to send a single daily request where the reciever (assigned to) can update the alert/form for multiple tasks?

Answers

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Joel Richardson

If you send multiple update request from a single sheet, yes. From multiple sheets, no.

From a single sheet you can select multiple rows & right click or automate multiple rows to send in a single update request.

If you have rows in multiple sheets you want in a consolidated update request you will need to get them in the same sheet. That can be automated too.

To make sure they all send in a single update request use the custom time trigger in automation:

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/21/21
    Options

Hi @Joel Richardson

There are at least two options.

1. If you set the timing so that it's more than six rows triggered, it will be combined in one email. (only if you use the placeholder feature. Otherwise, the Update Request would be combined as long as it's for more than one row)
    2. Use an automated daily recurring report.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/21/21
    Options

@Andrée Starå a scholar and and gentleman! 😁

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JeremiahHorstick

Thanks for the kind words, but I was wrong and thinking of when the placeholder feature is used.

Then it's true, more than six rows get combined into one email/message.

For update requests without adding a placeholder, they will be combined as long as it's more than one that has triggered.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Joel Richardson
    Options

@Andrée Starå @JeremiahHorstick Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the 'highlighting multiple rows' method and I see how that works, but won't satisfy the requirement.

Let me further explain the requirement.

1. Fully automated (set it and forget it)
    2. Each row can have a different 'assign to' person (row 4 is johnny, row 5 is sally, row six is johnny, row 7 is matt, row eight is sally, etc). It can be all over the place.
    3. I only want to send a request for update for that task to johnny and only send an update for this task to sally, etc
    4. this is a project template, so I'll be spawning other projects off of this template. I'd rather not have to manually set up the automation for every new project, but instead let the automation be smart enough to know that if Johhny is assigned to task 1, then it will automatically start sending requests to johnny.
    5. I only want the request for update to be sent if the 'column - status' is "in progress", otherwise, don't send anything.

I'm pretty sure I can figure out #5 (not a big deal), but the other 4 are stopping me in my tracks.

Thanks for taking time to help me figure this out!

Joel

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Joel Richardson We add the automation to our template project sheet in folder with other project resources.

When we copy the folder all of the inner resources remain linked to each other & the automation from the template project schedule remains.

I think this example automation from our template project schedule is along the lines of what you are looking for:

• Joel Richardson
    Options

Thanks @JeremiahHorstick

It's the last box that seems to be the trouble. I've done this earlier, and it sends out individual emails for each Job (and that's what I'm trying to avoid). You saying that it is supposed to send out a single request that can 'walk through' the various Jobs that Assigned To has? If so, that is exactly the solution I'm looking for. But...mine doesn't seem to work that way.

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Joel Richardson

It sounds like the reason your Update Requests are not consolidated is because they are coming from multiple sheets.

If having a consolidated update request across multiple sheets is vital here's my recommended solution:

With similar logic automate copying the row from each project sheet to a single sheet (Daily Update Request Sheet) on a scheduled basis.

Send the update request from the consolidated sheet & logically process the work flow off of the Daily Update Request Sheet back to the individual project sheet.

The functionality could be built into the template schedule and would work like a charm.

I have a similar case where I have many vendors across many project schedule sheets and want to send them a consolidated request, but we haven't prioritized building the logic to do so.

I would incorporate an Index(Collect()) type function on each project sheet referencing the Daily Update Request Sheet to facilitate the complete workflow and reconciliation across sheets.

• Joel Richardson
    Options

@JeremiahHorstick

Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong, because this is all coming from one sheet.

I'll re-review my logic on the automation.