Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can you use an "IF" function with a dropdown?

Maryyyy
Maryyyy
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a dropdown list in one column with 5 options to select.

I want a Text/Number column to produce a designated value based on the option selected from the dropdown:

Dropdown contains : Project, Small Project, etc.

Values would be Project = 10, Small Project = 9

Every attempt tells me #UNPARSEABLE.

What am I doing wrong?

Tags:

Comments

• Two columns: Projects & Values

Projects Dropdown values:

• Project
    • Small Project
    • Very Small Project
    • Crazy Small Project
    • Sub-Atomic Project

Formula to have in Values field:

=IF(Projects1 = "Project", 10, IF(Projects1 = "Small Project", 9, IF(Projects1 = "Very Small Project", 8, IF(Projects1 = "Crazy Small Project", 7, IF(Projects1 = "Sub-Atomic Project", 6)))))

When you select one of the projects from the dropdown, the value field will update to the appropriate number.

• Project = 10
    • Small Project = 9
    • Very Small Project = 8
    • Crazy Small Project = 7
    • Sub-Atomic Project = 6
  • I am working on something very similar but can't seem to make it work?

=IF(Performance Level = "Unacceptable - Rarely Evident", 1, IF(Performance Level = "Needs Improvement - Sometimes Evident", 2, IF(Performance Level = "Developing - Approaching Standard", 3, IF(Performance Level= "Skilled - Meeting Minimum Standard", 4, IF(Performance Level = "Exceeded Standard", 5, IF(Performance Level= "Mastered", 6))))))

I tried adding the "1" in front of the column name as you did above, that didn't work either. Please help!

Capture.PNG

• I was able to implement this functionality for a single value but for multiple selection from dropdown I am getting unparseable.

For single selection:

=IF([Impacted Pillar]1 = "People First", 1, IF([Impacted Pillar]1 = "Strong Capabilities", 1, IF([Impacted Pillar]1 = "Sustainability", 1, IF([Impacted Pillar]1 = "Safety Always", 1))))

For multiple selection:

=IF(AND([Impacted Pillar]3 = "Strong Capabilities"), ([Impacted Pillar]3 = "Safety Always"), 2, IF(AND([Impacted Pillar]3 ="Strong Capabilities"), ([Impacted Pillar]3 = "People First"), 2,))

Basically, I want to show 2 in another column if two values are selected from the dropdown.

Similarly, 3 if 3 values are selected and 4 if all have been selected.

This discussion has been closed.