Creating auto number system

How can I Create a tracking # that can be automatically generated based on another column which has different sub categories:

Department

XYZ

ABC

What will be the auto number display system based on the department name?

Best Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/22/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Ranjini Walter ,

There are several ways to do this. If it meets your needs, adding a system column with auto-numbering and then adding a text/number column [tracking #] with the formula:

=[department]@row +"-"+[Autonumber]@row

will give you a solution. You'll need to replace department and autonumber with your column names if different. There are autonumber options you may find useful. See link below:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1108408-auto-numbering-rows

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Ranjini,

You can try deleting the autonumber column, save, refresh and then recreate it. When you recreate the auto-number there are options at the bottom of the property box. Set it to start with 1. Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/22/21 Answer ✓

Hi @Ranjini Walter ,

There are several ways to do this. If it meets your needs, adding a system column with auto-numbering and then adding a text/number column [tracking #] with the formula:

=[department]@row +"-"+[Autonumber]@row

will give you a solution. You'll need to replace department and autonumber with your column names if different. There are autonumber options you may find useful. See link below:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1108408-auto-numbering-rows

Help?

Mark

• Hi Mark

Thank you for your guidance. It did work and I was able to get close to what I wanted but the only problem was the tracking # that was generated was not from 1 but randomly picked up from 195.So that's the only thing that is a little confusing. But It does increase the count value by 1 .

So maybe I am missing out on something here?

Thanks

Ranjini Walter

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Ranjini,

You can try deleting the autonumber column, save, refresh and then recreate it. When you recreate the auto-number there are options at the bottom of the property box. Set it to start with 1. Help?

Mark