Is there a way to format a calendar so that the full description of a task isn't cutoff?

Is there a way to format a calendar so that the full description of a task isn't cutoff?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael Gibson

If you are speaking of the Calendar View, there currently isn't a way to format the task bar to wrap-text like you can do in the Grid of the sheet: the primary column's text will end when the task bar meets the right side of that day's square. Please let our Product Team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here!

Keep in mind that if you re-size your browser window this will affect the size of the Calendar's squares, which could show or hide some of that task's name.

You can also hover your mouse over the task in the Calendar View to display the entire text, or double-click on it to open up the row's Edit window and display the name there.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael Gibson

If you are speaking of the Calendar View, there currently isn't a way to format the task bar to wrap-text like you can do in the Grid of the sheet: the primary column's text will end when the task bar meets the right side of that day's square. Please let our Product Team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here!

Keep in mind that if you re-size your browser window this will affect the size of the Calendar's squares, which could show or hide some of that task's name.

You can also hover your mouse over the task in the Calendar View to display the entire text, or double-click on it to open up the row's Edit window and display the name there.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi,

I have this same question. I noticed that the last response was in 2021. It is now 2024. Has this been fixed? Can I get the full description in grid view to show up in calendar view?

• Hi @amoncourtois

The answer above is still relevant today - you'll need to hover over the task bar to see the full content.

• Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for your quick response. Aside from cutting and pasting the full description into a Word calendar, is there a work-around in SmartSheet? Can it be exported to a calendar with the full description?

• Hi @amoncourtois

What appears in the task bar line depends on how large the square of the calendar is - this means that one option could be to ensure you're looking at the calendar with your browser as wide as possible.

For example, this is my test calendar showing how the same text changes if the date is 1 day, 3 days, or a full week. You can see my hovering over the individual day to see the full text:

But if I make my browser window smaller, fewer words are able to appear because the "Day" square is too small to show the full content:

If hovering is not enough, you can also double-click on the task to have the Edit view pop open so you can see the full text.

This matches similar behaviour to Google Calendar if you were to export your Smartsheet sheet to Google:

The amount of text shown depends on the size of your Day. I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Genevieve