Automated email "Sender"

Options
DanR
DanR ✭✭✭✭

The Smartsheet help files say that the sender listed in automated emails is the person who triggered the response, or by default, the sheet owner. I'm building an automated system for another department and ALL their notifications are sent out with my name listed as the sender rather then the participants who triggered it. Is there a switch, or a condition that needs to be present in order for the triggering person to be listed as the sender? The recipients of their automated emails will not have any idea who I am. None of them are licensed users so I can't give them ownership. They are all listed as users on our company account. If the system worked like the help files describe, using the triggering person as the sender, then all would be well. What do I do to get this working correctly? The sheet is set up to trigger an automation by a response from an update request. Does this feature only work if they trigger the automation by entering their response directly on the sheet?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DanR 

Hope you are fine, please read the following article and check Tips and Best Practices in this article about Overview of Automated Notifications Sent via Smartsheet.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• DanR
    DanR ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Bassam, for your response. I had read that article before posting this question. This comment in the article is what has me confused:

"In most cases, the name you’ll see in the message will be the name of the person who triggered the change—that is, the person who made a change to the sheet that caused the notification to be sent to you. In all other cases, the name used is the name of the person who owns the sheet (the sheet owner)."

A project administrator checks the box that triggers the automated message, yet my name is on the email message (I'm the sheet owner). I expect the answer to my question is hidden in the phrase "In most cases." I'm looking for a way to make this feature work according to this description without asking the company to buy more licenses, if possible. What is missing from the equation when the project administrator checks the box that triggers the message (via update request)? Why doesn't his or her name appear as the sender?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @DanR

You are correct, an Update Request is one of the exceptions from the "most cases" and will have the email showing the Sheet Owner's name. A more detailed list of the exceptions can be found in the Release Notes page of this feature, see: Personalized Sender Name and Reply-To for Notification Emails

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Linda Linton
    Linda Linton ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I read the release notes, but still don't get it. Why not let the sheet owner or admin decide which email to use in the automations? In other words, make it an input field when the automation is created.

• Mark Salamon
    Options

This really should be configurable Just add another field to the email automation: who should be listed as the from, which could be a dynamic value like the person who created or modified the record or some other value unique to the record.