Budget Calculation

Options

I am attempting to calculate the expected spend year to date with a formula that references data in a month column where MONTH(TODAY()) - 1. This works, but when the new year started, it reset all of the expected spend year to date back to 0. Is there away to set a formula that won't

=IF(Month6 = "12", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (December)]6), IF(Month6 = 11, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (November)]6), IF(Month6 = 10, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (October)]6), IF(Month6 = 9, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (September)]6), IF(Month6 = "8", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (August)]6), IF(Month6 = "7", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (July)]6), IF(Month6 = "6", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (June)]6), IF(Month6 = "5", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (May)]6), IF(Month6 = "4", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (April)]6), IF(Month6 = "3", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (March)]6), IF(Month6 = "2", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (February)]6), IF(Month6 = "1", [Budget (January)]6, 0))))))))))))

Any thoughts on an alternative formula?

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Nathan,

You need to add a year check if you want last year's spend to remain. Insert a column YEAR unless you have a date field you can use to determine spend year. Then try:

=IF([Year]@row<year(today()), SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (December)]6), IF(Month6 = "12", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (December)]6), IF(Month6 = 11, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (November)]6), IF(Month6 = 10, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (October)]6), IF(Month6 = 9, SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (September)]6), IF(Month6 = "8", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (August)]6), IF(Month6 = "7", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (July)]6), IF(Month6 = "6", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (June)]6), IF(Month6 = "5", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (May)]6), IF(Month6 = "4", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (April)]6), IF(Month6 = "3", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (March)]6), IF(Month6 = "2", SUM([Budget (January)]6:[Budget (February)]6), IF(Month6 = "1", [Budget (January)]6, 0)))))))))))))

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Nathan Umbriac
    Nathan Umbriac ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Mark Cronk. What do I need to add in the Year fields?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Nathan,

To use the formula I provides, add text/number column titled [Year]. In the rows add the 4 digit year of the transaction. Your 2020 months should recalculate to last year and not restart with 0 in Jan.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!