Column Character Limit

01/29/21
Accepted

I am looking for a way around the 50 charcter limit in the column headers. I have a sheet that sends out update requests monthly to various team members and the headers are questions they are required to answer. I am having a difficult time paring down my questions to 50 characters. Any ideas on how to get around this? I saw somehwere someone mentioned to add it to a row, but how could I include that cell in my update request when it is not in the row being updated? It would not be in every row and the request is row specific to a contact cell.

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Melissa BoehlMelissa Boehl ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you provide a screenshot of your sheet so we can get a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish?

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Susan Vieira

You can add so-called helper columns where you add the question to the same row and lock those columns so it would show like below.

Column Name

Question Cell (locked)

Answer Cell

Another option could be to use a form instead.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Susan VieiraSusan Vieira ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå , a form would not work as I do not want to keep adding rows to my sheet. I still cannot picture how a helper column would help me as I have mutliple questions each person must update every month on the same sheet via an update request.

@Melissa Boehl Here is a screenshot of my page if it helps. So what I highlighted in yellow wold be where my too long questions would live. Each person in the Site leads column would have to fill out their updates monthly. There are identical columns further in the sheet for each month of the year. I have a workflow to send them reminders to update every month.

Thanks very much for all your insight!

Susan

@Susan Vieira

The helper columns would only show the questions because they can't fit in the column names.

Main Column

Helper Column (with the question on each row, so it's included in the update request)

Answer Column.

Make sense?

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

@Andrée Starå But each update has about 3-4 different questions. So I would need multiple helper columns to ensure user sees each question? Or do you propose I include all questions in the helper cell?

Accepted Answer

@Susan Vieira

Can you share the sheet so I can add an example of what I mean?

(Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

Accepted Answer

@Andrée Starå Shared. There is no sensitive info on it, thanks!