Automatically update Start and Finish dates with new week

Options

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to automatically update Start and Finish dates to the new week once it hits Monday?

For example, I think the formula should somehow state "When the date changes to XXX (Every Monday), change Start and Finish to Today and Today (+5)"

Not sure if this is even possible? It would save my team from having to update the dates every week since the tasks recur weekly, but also allow the tasks to be included on their "Due in 7 Days" report.

Thanks for the help!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nicole Petersen

The way I would do this would be to use a nested IF statement to check what day of the week Today is using the WEEKDAY function, then return the 2nd day of this week (Monday) based on Today.

For example, you would say, if Today is Thursday, return Today minus three days:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(-3)

You would do this for each potential day of the week, to have one long formula based on each day.

Monday Formula:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 1, TODAY(1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 2, TODAY(), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 3, TODAY(-1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 4, TODAY(-2), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(-3), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 6, TODAY(-4), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 7, TODAY(-5))))))))

Then in the Friday column you'd do the same thing, but adjust the returned date to always be Friday.

For example, you would say, if Today is Thursday, return Today plus one day:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(1)

Friday Formula:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 1, TODAY(5), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 2, TODAY(4), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 3, TODAY(3), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 4, TODAY(2), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 6, TODAY(), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 7, TODAY(-1))))))))

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nicole Petersen

The way I would do this would be to use a nested IF statement to check what day of the week Today is using the WEEKDAY function, then return the 2nd day of this week (Monday) based on Today.

For example, you would say, if Today is Thursday, return Today minus three days:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(-3)

You would do this for each potential day of the week, to have one long formula based on each day.

Monday Formula:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 1, TODAY(1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 2, TODAY(), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 3, TODAY(-1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 4, TODAY(-2), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(-3), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 6, TODAY(-4), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 7, TODAY(-5))))))))

Then in the Friday column you'd do the same thing, but adjust the returned date to always be Friday.

For example, you would say, if Today is Thursday, return Today plus one day:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(1)

Friday Formula:

=IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 1, TODAY(5), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 2, TODAY(4), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 3, TODAY(3), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 4, TODAY(2), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 5, TODAY(1), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 6, TODAY(), IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY()) = 7, TODAY(-1))))))))

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve,

Thank you, I think this will work great!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

No problem! 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!