Outlook Contact Group Email

I have a form that I need completed quarterly by 150+ people throughout our company of which 95%+ are not Smartsheet users. However, this list of users is changing constantly based on our business. I would like to use an Outlook contact group that is maintained regularly as the proxy for the group of recipients for receiving the form link. Is this not possible? What about an Office 365 Group email address? I have tried both and the app simply refuses to save the automation I set up with either in the recipient field of the automation.

Please advise. This is a basic need for larger organizations.

Best Answer

• bcwilson.ca
    bcwilson.ca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/11/21 Answer ✓

You want IT to create a Global Address List (GAL)

We have a workflow send to a payables@company.com and "IT" maintains the members of the group. If you ask nicely they can set it up so you can maintain the users in the group in your outlook.

I believe we had to set payables@company.com as a user and had to log in as them but they do not need a paid licence.

It took me about 3 times of having IT say "That no there is no way for you to maintain the list in your Outlook" until I did some searching and forwarded the website with the ticket that explained what they needed to do on the server.

Also if you have a lot of users (like the 150+) you can also set up a few GAL's and then they can create a tree structure.

Ex: you could have "smartsheet_reports" as a GAL and then you could have Field_Staff, Manufacturing_Staff, Accounting_Staff as separate GALS..

You can then make them members of your "smartsheet_report" GAL

You could then break down Field Staff as West Region, East Region and so on..

If you are really nice to IT you may even be able to have the West Region Admin maintain the West Region GAL and then it all rolls up with very little administration.

I find if say the West Region admin says "Oh this makes my life easier for mailing Christmas card lists, and monthly reports " they will maintain it well and also if IT realizes they have very little work to do to maintain it they will support it.

Let me know how it goes

Answers

• bcwilson.ca
    bcwilson.ca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/11/21 Answer ✓

You want IT to create a Global Address List (GAL)

We have a workflow send to a payables@company.com and "IT" maintains the members of the group. If you ask nicely they can set it up so you can maintain the users in the group in your outlook.

I believe we had to set payables@company.com as a user and had to log in as them but they do not need a paid licence.

It took me about 3 times of having IT say "That no there is no way for you to maintain the list in your Outlook" until I did some searching and forwarded the website with the ticket that explained what they needed to do on the server.

Also if you have a lot of users (like the 150+) you can also set up a few GAL's and then they can create a tree structure.

Ex: you could have "smartsheet_reports" as a GAL and then you could have Field_Staff, Manufacturing_Staff, Accounting_Staff as separate GALS..

You can then make them members of your "smartsheet_report" GAL

You could then break down Field Staff as West Region, East Region and so on..

If you are really nice to IT you may even be able to have the West Region Admin maintain the West Region GAL and then it all rolls up with very little administration.

I find if say the West Region admin says "Oh this makes my life easier for mailing Christmas card lists, and monthly reports " they will maintain it well and also if IT realizes they have very little work to do to maintain it they will support it.

Let me know how it goes

• bkw1962
    bkw1962 ✭✭✭

This works perfectly. Thanks for the assist.

• Distribution list or Group list great work in MS Outlook. You can use them to create a list or members to get notifications or emails as well as collaboration.